The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 07:49 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default Flustrated Fisherman

I am getting mad here!!! I have not caught a steelhead yet. The thing is is that i get mad easily and get frustrated and flabbergasted at these fish. What do u guys do to keep a clear head?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:33 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Flustrated Fisherman

Try again the next day. (with a clear head)
Old 11-22-2008, 08:41 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

don't take it to serious, just enjoy being out being able to do it. Then knowing that I have confidence in a certian fly pattern and having a watchful eye.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:08 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

what ya using? if these are great lakes steelhead then try using some pink or chartruese sucker spawn and make sure it is bouncing along the bottom. use split shots to get it down. try using some small black beadhead stoneflies this way also. you can also use some streamer patterns. try using clouser minnows or some wooleybuggers or egg sucking leeches. if the water is dirty use darker colors or flouro colors and bigger flies. when clear try to use lighter colors, smaller flies. keep at it. I got skunked my 1st fall and winter and got lucky in the spring swinging streamers. I have gotten all my steel on streamer patterns. also in fall , winter look for bends in the river, boulders, logs, deep depressions... anything that will block the flow of water they will use for cover or in the spring they are on the riffles. the number one thing is finding where they are you don't wanna cast to a place with no fish. you are just wasting your time. find where they hang out, swing streamers or drift nymphs through those holes over and over and don't give up!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:43 AM

1SeventyZ is on a distinguished road

I hear ya. I've casted and drifted my streamers so much that it feels very defeating. Just when I was about to chuck my rod into the woods, this guy upriver from me got a 15 lb Steelhead on. I walked up to watch the fight and it was inspiring. I should be able to run on that for another few days at the river....
Old 11-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I think the trick with Steelhead is fishing where the fish are. Look for resting places with some slack or a little deeper water. When you see a fish caught like 1SeventyZ did that is a spot to remember. You can't catch Steelhead in every part of the river. They travel and rest travel and rest until they reach their spawning ground. If you catch a fish remember where and how you caught it. Find the resting spots and you will do alright. You can just about count on other fish filling in behind the fish you caught or saw caught.

Fly Fishing Steelhead fishers are great people. If you see one who seems to know what he is doing strike up a conversation. Be careful how you approach him. Don't get in his back cast area. Don't fish the spot he is working to. If he is in the river wait for him to come out of the water. This is a great time to say hi and ask how he is doing. His answer will tell you if he wants to talk. If you tell him you are a beginner I bet he will help you. He may even give you a fly. I have given away many flies on the water.

If you want to learn a season of information in one trip, hire a fly fishing guide. You won't believe how much it will help you and cut down your learning curve.

Frank
Old 11-24-2008, 08:59 PM

ben in the woods is on a distinguished road

I just keep thinking that the next swing will produce
Old 11-24-2008, 09:00 PM

ben in the woods is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Try again the next day. (with a clear head)
touché
Old 11-25-2008, 08:52 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Slow down relax
Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

its all worth it in the end. you will find out once you hook up for the 1st time! just stay at it and don't give up. if ya get skunked just take it as is. at least ya got out on the river for some casting and nymph drifting practice!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.