The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 09:13 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough
Default Late in the Fall

The last few weeks have involved everything that fall generally involves when it comes to life. Getting things prepared for the coming winter and generally getting the last of things out the way before it all freezes up. I have managed to get out a couple times this fall, but it came time to really get excited about one last trip before it all freeezes over.

So one of the guys from my club had been raving about this one lake, and when I saw some of the pics I was motivated... so early Saturday morning I packed things in the car and headed out. I don't know exactly what the temp was when I got there, but I know it was colder than -6C and that several items including my wading boots had frozen solid while I was setting up...
Click the image to open in full size.
I got onto the water shortly after sunrise and headed out to a recommended spot... The reason I was so excited? well this was my first attempt at luring some splake. I had tried once before in the season, sorta, but not really, and it was one of the species I had really wanted to catch... so this was it!
The first few hours were slow for me, although there was another boat on the water bait fishing and they were just hammerring them. I worked and worked and could barely get a knock. I was being joined by the guy from my club who had made me aware of this lake, and I was afraid that I would still be on the skunk by the time he arrived around noon. I saw him hit the water, and shortly after that I figured things out and netted my first ever splake!
Within minutes of releasing my first I had my second and I knew I had unlocked a pretty awesome piece of the puzzle...
The rest of the day proved to be the highlight of my season... enjoy the pics!

A 21" female

The highlight of my season! a 23" 4lb female
I knew a picture would be necessary
And I was right... a beautiful male in full spawn colours...

The smallest fish I have ever caught on fly, and technically my 10th species?

What an awesome way to wrap up this season!!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Late in the Fall

Wow,

Some nice fish there, a Splake? Cross bred right? never ran into that, lake Trout & Brookie? Some of them look like Dollies but not really........... Nice fish,

So what secret did you unlock that turned on the action?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2010, 09:43 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Wow,

Some nice fish there, a Splake? Cross bred right? never ran into that, lake Trout & Brookie? Some of them look like Dollies but not really........... Nice fish,

So what secret did you unlock that turned on the action?

Ard
Yeah... it's a brookie-laker cross... The secret... rip a streamer across them as quickly as you can... I started off with a rather slow presentation and no interest... I sped up (eventually) and only got hits with super quick strips... what was also really awesome was that we had visibility down to about 10ft and we were watching fish all day... saw some real pigs there, but just look for the white on the fins... managed to get a couple takes where we intercepted the cruising fish, ripped the streamer and they just attacked...
Old 10-31-2010, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Cool it is good to figure things out like that huh?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2010, 05:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

twfitw: Wow, those are beautiful fish! Congrats!

Larry
Old 10-31-2010, 09:52 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

That's awesome, Congratulation's! I caught my first lake trout ever a couple weeks ago and the really slow long strip worked there. Go figure.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Congrats on your First, and Second.... Beautiful fish...

Dan
Old 11-01-2010, 08:47 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Great Pics of really nice fish! That retrieve (6-8" as fast as you can do them), is one I aways try before leaving a saltwater spot I fhink should be holding fish (like in a mud), and it very often works when nothing else will. But it's very tiring.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-01-2010, 03:43 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

WOW! Great fish and scenery! Thanks for sharing that!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:16 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Late in the Fall

Love these types of Threads; beautiful places to see ... and that I'd (otherwise) never set eyes upon.