The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1017Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 PM

friar tyer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rainbow Trout Pics

Some really nice fish in this thread! Here are a few of mine from the Swift river in MA.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

The girlfriend and I made the annual spring trip up to the Missouri River, MT for some great fishing in really cold windy conditions.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow ! Conditions didn't hurt the fishing none! Looks like you had an outstanding day Larry. You both look cold but happy ! Awesome fish! Congrats!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! You're correct, the fishing was great, so that made up for the cold conditions. The first day I wore 5 layers and did ok then it snowed over night. The second day the forecast was for colder conditions, wind and rain so I wore six layers and again did ok, but the wind was just miserable the second day making casting very difficult, but there was an unbelieveable baeitis hatch coming off which made it all worth while. Not many heads coming up but they certainly were keyed into the emergers.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:51 PM

aquaticsanonymous is on a distinguished road

hands look frozen too!
Old 05-28-2012, 05:47 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Nice job Larry!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

So had to put up a few pics. I caught the biggest rainbow last weekend Ive ever caught. Not huge by any means but for the waters I fish regularly he is on the big side. I catch a lot of browns and brookies so this one made me real happy. Funny part of catching him was it was a terrible cast off the mark of intention. I thought just let it drift out you never know and within 5 seconds the old strike indicator went under and upstream all at once. He was in to my drag a little which was fine til he went down stream. I had to horse him around on 6x to keep him from entering a swift section of rapids, so it was lose him in the rapids or run the risk of busting my tippet.

He was a little over 15" and pretty stout

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 06-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Very nice, especially on 6x and having to deal with fast water!

Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Very nice, especially on 6x and having to deal with fast water!
Kudos Larry! That's some good fishing!

Thought maybe I should actually add a pic to this thread instead of just enjoying everyone else's. Haha!
This is one of the pics from my recent trip report...

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
The girlfriend and I made the annual spring trip up to the Missouri River, MT for some great fishing in really cold windy conditions.

The section near Craig? I love that river.

Nice double with the GF, those fish are all pigs.