The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 11:49 PM

FlyfishnakedInc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: So do you fish alone or with a group?

I fish almost always alone. It's communion, unless I'm fishing with my son and then I focus on him and his fishing he's 9. It's more important he catch fish than me and brings us both great pleasure when he hooks a fish. So in short i fish alone almost always.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Great tale, I could sense your passion for the event while I read your story!

I only have trouble casting when I'm trying to force the issue. I've learned to not worry about catching any fish but to fish. Always remember they call it fishing not catching.

I fish alone a lot, when I'm fishing there is nothing on my mind, at least not that I can tell you if there is. If I do find my self thinking about anything other than the act of fishing, then whatever I'm pondering needs to be dealt with before I try to fish again.

I would say that 99.9 % of the time my mind is totally blank when I fish, I'm on auto pilot. How else could I explain running a hundred yards through rocks and logs sometimes having to hurdle them while trying to catch up to a Salmon who is desperately trying to reach the tidal pool and the safety of the sea? I certainly don't remember looking where I'm going I just go. I try to keep these trips to a minimum but it does happen sometimes when you get a big guy on who doesn't even think about going up river.

You can take a friend fishing with you, you can take a dog, but you should never take any troubles with you. I leave everything except my gear at the truck, it and the rest of the world will still be there when I return.

I've been saying that for a long time "Remember, they call it fishing, not catching" you can quote me on that.

Ard
Old 12-31-2008, 06:17 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

About two years ago, I started having trouble finding a fishing partner-- my usual buddies started working longer hours, my son would rather stay up late playing computer games and sleep in, my wife went back to college, etc, etc. Rather than take up solitaire, I started fishing alone, and discovered that I prefer the solitude. Fewer distractions, no worries about how to graciously jump ahead of companions on the river, no complaints about choosing the wrong river at the wrong time, no dealing with the insufferable snobs often drawn to the sport, and no one to mind the cigar smoke. I am even able to have conversations with the river and trout without feeling too self-conscious. I have since become somewhat of a recluse, seeking out small mountain streams stewn with boulders and jungle-like foliage that require a 1 hour scramble to get into. I would much rather catch a 10" wild brown under these conditions with no other anglers seen all day than stand on the San Juan pulling in a succession of 20"'ers. (Although in the spirit of full disclosure, I have been fishing Alaska during September the past two years to satisfy these big trout urges.)
Old 12-31-2008, 09:07 PM

Midwest flyfish kid will become famous soon enough

I fish alone because I dont anyone who fishes
Old 12-31-2008, 09:28 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

I fish alone because I simply love the solitude.... well, I pack a heater! LOL
I always take a tiny waterproof camera so I can take several pix of the wonderful time I'm having.
Most aren't as dedicated as I am. I fish until dark, sometimes much later, also in rain or cold.
Tonight, new years' eve, I'm watching all my wonderful fishing trips that I had this year. I put the pix on a dvd and watch on my HD Bigscreen! Even a 8" trout looks wonderful on a big screen.
Happy New Year...... my cyberfriends.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 01-01-2009, 02:24 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

I fish mostly by myself and won't fish with more than 2 other people cuz you just go thru water too fast.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:18 AM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road

I usually fish alone. I do have a good friend who taught me the basics. I enjoy going with him, but our schedules don't always match up. Generally, I like the solitude.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:19 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Spending time in the woods by myself has given me the keys to my sanity, and plugged me into the "real world", not the one "they" want us to believe in.
A little ripparian area in Kansas was my intro to nature, and relief.
Now I prowel the woods and waters of the west with a deep feeling of freedom, and joy.
Fly fishing is just a handy excuse for me to go outside. Sometimes, I don't even fish, just watch them and wonder.

Bigfly
Old 07-21-2009, 01:21 AM

RMTrouter is on a distinguished road

The majority of the time I will generally fish alone. Partially because I enjoy the solitude, and I will often go on a whim. And sometimes it's just hard for my buddies and I to get together.

But, it's nice to sometimes have the company, especially for a second pair of hands to help out with the net or a camera. And it's nice to shoot the breeze afterwards and maybe have a brew while rigging down.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:16 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

It depends.

First off, I don't have any friends that fly fish, so that cuts down on my fishing buddies tremendously.

If I'm relatively close to home, I fish alone. Mostly because wrangling someone to fish with is an ordeal.

If I go further away, I take a buddy. It's good for the comraderie and we compare what they're hitting on and where. Good notes for my journal.

I take my oldest son with me sometimes as he is old enough to rig and bait his own stuff. My youngest is not there yet, so dad doesn't fish as much.