The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: So do you fish alone or with a group?

I go spin fishing with my Grandpa and cousins every summer. But I fly fishing alone, mainly becasue I don't know anyone in my area who does.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:09 AM

Longbowman is on a distinguished road

80% of the time I fish alone and the other time is with my son. I guess fly fishing falls into the same category for me as my traditional bowhunting where having somebody with me means I'll see them when I'm done fishing/hunting for that day. I like the solitude.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the great read, Jeff.

I'm 50/50. I usually take the family out at least once a week, but there are times that I have to just go out by myself and take in the scenery. I need it to find my center.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

For me it depends on several things. Usually when I want to go fish I will make a few phone calls and see if any of my friends want to go. Usually when I am out bushwhacking I like having another person with me for safety reasons. When I have to fish the larger blue ribbon type places I am more inclined to go solo, but I will still throw out an invite. When I am out on the water with friends we usually separate and fish.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:03 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

I've been saying that for a long time "Remember, they call it fishing, not catching" you can quote me on that.

Ard
And I often do. As always, Sage advice. If I had to feed my family, I'd use dynamite...
Old 07-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi everyone,

First let me say that I fish alone most of the time. Not because I like the solitude but because my long time fly fishing partner passed. Those of you who fish alone may be missing a great opportunity to form a lifelong friendship.

I Don't want to fish with just anyone. Whoever I fish with has to share my love of fishing. I have had three fishing buddies. A high school buddy, my 30 year friend and a friend that I now fish with when he has time off from work. Unfortunately that is not very often and he doesn't fly fish. So fishing with a real partner and friend is way better than fishing alone. When I was in Alaska I met Wayne the first day there and we bought homes next to each other. We both hunted, reloaded, fly fished and tied flies. So it didn't take long for us to form a bond that connected us for the next thirty years. We both became pilots and along the way, best friends. If you have ever had a special dog you will understand the relationship Wayne and I had. Not that either of us were a dog.

When we went fishing we always split up and keep a separation between us so it was like we were fishing alone. Usually we stayed in sight of each other but not always. Wayne had a habit of sticking to a spot for ever. While I move on down or up stream. Eventually I would have to come back and find him. Then we spent dinner time sharing the stories of the day.

So all of you loan fly fishers keep you eye open for a fishing partner. You may be lucky and find a life long friend who shares your enthusiasm and love of fly fishing. Believe me it is much more fun with your best friend along.

Frank
Old 07-23-2009, 04:56 AM
DaveP63 is on a distinguished road

Is a party of two a group?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Yes...To both...I fish when I can with my sons, only Jim of the three still has the passion...I look forward to times when he comes home during Steelhead time; we hit the river and enjoy everything the Creator made for us. I am selective about fishing with others; I have 5 other fellows I'll invite on a regular basis; they have the same feelings about fly fishing and ethics as I do and are good company.

I don't hesitate to fish alone, it does give you a chance to clear your head; funny how things don't matter as much when you're focusing on fishing. Whether you catch a bunch or none at all it doesn't matter, as long as you enjoy the river.

Jeff, great story; you sound like someone who would fit in my classification of a fishing buddy.

Dan
Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

Hey I see that I am not alone...I fish alone 95% of the time cause I guess nobody likes me..
Old 07-25-2009, 12:23 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

sorry i dont want to read the whole thing so i skimmed it but anyways im kind of inbetween..i like going alone cause then i catch all the fish but i can also just stand there in the river and think about everything going on in my life but then i like having a buddy cause theres someone there to talk to and keep me company