The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 12:24 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Re: So do you fish alone or with a group?

ill fly to ok and fish with you!!!...if i was old enough:
Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 PM

goin2themountains is on a distinguished road

Most of the time, I fish alone. I can fish on my own schedule that way, and if I miss lunch, or supper, being on the water was better anyway. Sometimes I will fly fish with my Daughter, but we usually separate once we are on the water. My 7 yo Grandson loves to fish bait, so when he is along, he does require some supervision. I prefer to fish alone. Nothing for me, matches the zen quality of getting into a cadence, or rhythm of casting and fishing by myself without having to break that peace to take someone else into consideration.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

When I was young...I loved fishing alone...now it's the contrary.I'm lucky to have several great friends and it's a pleasure to fish with them.We talk and crack jokes,swap our rods,sometimes when we're two we only take one rod.Sometimes one fishes on dry the other on nymph,last week when I was in Austria with my son we always fished with two different patterns so when a fish didn't like the first one we tried with the other,that's what we call "new ball"(like in a tennis tournament) .For sure fishing with a friend is better for safety reasons ...last winter we could go to a reservoir with the complete team(JM,Batistou,the Fischmeister and I)it was a great day!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:51 AM

AKJay will become famous soon enough

Although I have to say I prefer the solitude of fishing alone, I generally only go with one or two buddies for a few reasons. First and foremost is safety. With the number of bear sightings this summer and the remote areas I like to fish, its just not smart to head out by myself. The second reason is just having someone around to brag to about your catch and critique each others fishing styles and fly choices. The way I fish continues to evolve and I think I've become a better fisherman by adding other peoples knowledge to mine. I think its all about finding a good fishing partner...then you can still have the peace and quiet most of the time with the occasional boasts.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:11 PM

deomojo will become famous soon enough

Your post was wonderfully written. The Norman Maclean quote you used is one of my all time favorites. I am fortunate enough to live where I can fish often. As a result I fish in all kinds of company. If I have a choice I love to fish with my kids, my dad, or my best friend. Any of these are preferable to fishing alone. To put this into the proper prospective, I regard fishing alone as heaven on earth.
Thanks,
Tim
Old 07-26-2009, 05:33 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough

I prefer to fish alone so most of the time I head out early in the morning and get my "quiet time" away from everyone. Come the afternoon we all pile in the car and fishing soon becomes a competition between me and our 7 year old son as to who can catch the biggest fish. All in great fun, and watching the excitement of him every time he's hooked up makes it that much better.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:16 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Thousands of people visit us every year to go fishing. It is actually crowded at times.
I don't resent them, because that is how I manage living here. But, when winter comes....
I have miles of water (and fish) all to myself. Something about 3-4 ft. of snow, snowshoes, long hikes, frozen guides (both kinds), and very fresh cold water, helps keep the hoard at bay!
After a few months of this, I do sometimes wish I had some company.
Then the feeling passes, because I know summer is coming.....

Bigfly
Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I fish alone mostly. I have been going fishing lately with a fishing buddy to help lower the cost of gas.

MP
Old 08-19-2009, 12:09 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

I prefer fishing alone, although I usually go with my neighbor. There are times I like to take my boys, just to try and get them into fishing. They usually just end up playing in the water, or in the woods along banks.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:19 PM

robbylepczyk is on a distinguished road

i like to fish with friends almost always