The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 05:15 PM

jeffcertain is on a distinguished road
Default So do you fish alone or with a group?

Poets talk about “spots of time,” but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a ***** forever. -Norman Mclean

Do you ever go fishing alone? I have fishing buddies that fish almost exclusively alone and others who never venture out unless it’s a group effort. I try to mix the bag and do a little of both. My grandfather spent hours on the water by himself. When my brother and I were fortunate enough to accompany him, we rarely fished together. A series of shouts and whistles kept all parties in contact. We preferred it that way.

Without getting too deep here, I think that being on the water alone forces one to stay in the moment (my sister in law Ali would be proud) and help forge a greater connection with his or her surroundings. It is during these times of intense focus that we shed away the stresses and tensions of everyday life. It is almost like we take a little time to step outside of ourselves for a breather…or maybe we are stepping inside to use a different part of the brain. Whatever the process, the experience can be very rewarding.

Here’s a story that I will always remember.

A few years ago, while fishing a somewhat remote stretch of water in Northern Michigan, I was descended upon by a giant hatch of hex flies. Hex’s are sort of the holy grail of mayfly hatches.The bugs are a couple of inches long and frequently, skittish trout will come out from their dens and feed with reckless abandon. I had seen (actually heard) this on other occasions while fishing for brown trout after dark. You see, for the most part this hatch occurs during the nighttime hours. Brown trout tend to be nocturnal feeders, so it all works out – the mayflies get to propagate and the trout get dinner.

So I’m standing in the midst of this plague-like hatch, but, as the sun had not set, I could see all the action going on- and it was amazing. I knew there were some large trout in this area, but I was shocked at what I was seeing. It’s always difficult to estimate size from watching trout rise, but some of these fish were leaping out of the water- like steelhead. These were very large fish. Several (well okay, maybe 3) fish in the 20” range completely separated themselves from the water. I stood in utter shock and amazement. As I have gotten a little older, I have tried to stop and appreciate when God gives you front row seats to his production.

However, in my moment of devout observance, I had let my fly line wrap completely around my legs. -so completely in fact, that I had to scoot my way to a log and tackle the issue from a sitting position. As I was frantically pawing at the disaster around my feet, the show was still on in full force out in the pool ahead of me. Luckily, I had extensive experience extricating myself from my own fly line, and the issue was resolved within few minutes. I had no hex flies, so I adeptly tied a massive stimulator pattern my brother Tim had created in one of our tying sessions together.

The trout were still feeding, I was in prime position to make a cast into the most active area of the pool, and I knew this was going to be my moment of greatness. At this point the sun had started to set, and light was fading…I made a nifty little roll cast to a side pool to get some line to work with, and started a few false casts to ensure a perfect presentation. It was all coming together now, and I could already feel the inevitable heavy tug on my line that was in my very near future.

A little known skill to the beginner is the ability to make a tough cast under pressure- (ask anyone who has gone bone fishing). I’ve always had a little problem in this particular area, and more times than not, I spook fish with a sloppy cast or end up in an upper body version of the previously mentioned scenario. Today, however, I had the time to position myself beautifully and make a great cast to the top of the pool. As I stripped the slack with the pace of the drift, a tiny little bubble appeared directly were my fly was floating a second before. I raised my rod tip while sharply pulling down the line, and I was treated to the familiar heavy tug of a large trout shaking its head. Keeping my rod high while winding slack back onto the reel, I prepared for the inevitable run.

I knew this was going to be a tough fish to land without stepping into the pool, but other trout were still rising, and I was sure if I could land this one without spooking the others, I could get at least two, maybe three more.
Fish in a barrel, so to speak.

The smart fisherman, the grateful fisherman, or the savvy fisherman would have stepped into the pool, tried to let the fish fight the current as well as the fisherman, landed the fish, been happy with his good fortune, and treated himself to a pint on the way home.
Hubris : n.- excessive pride or self-confidence; arrogance.

I decided to fight the fish from a disadvantaged position on the bank. As I expertly played the fish out of one log jam after another, two things crossed my mind: 1) My net was lying on the bank 30 feet away from me (I had set it down while I tackled the earlier tangle) and 2) that this was a very large trout and there was no way I was going to land it netless without getting into the pool. At first I thought I could just let line out and walk back to the net while keeping the fish on, but after a quick mental calculation, I dismissed the idea as idiotic and decided to make my way into the pool.

Miraculously, the fish was still on and seemed to be tiring out in the current. Because of my earlier decision to stage my fight from the bank, I had to step into a fairly deep area of the pool. As I did so, I allowed slack in the line and the big fish made another run for cover –this time successfully finding the salvation of an old beaver dam. I could still feel the fish pulsing on the end of the line, and after another quick thought of going for the net, I decided to reach down and see if I could free the line from the sticks and logs of the dam. Maybe I could get the fish back out into open water… As I reached into the shocking cold up to my armpit, I actually felt the tail of the fish brush my hand. I wanted to get an idea of size, so impulsively I reached in a little further and grabbed a very thick dorsal area. My mind rapidly calculating, I thought that if I let slack into the line, I could lift the trout out one handed (stop laughing, it seemed like a good idea at the time) and somehow wade to shore or finagle my camera out of my vest where I was. I slid my hand around to the belly of the fish and tried to lift it out. I got it out just far enough to get a big surprise. In my hand (sort of) just under the water, was the largest brook trout I had ever seen, easily 20 inches or more.

Just before the inevitable occurred, the fish turned and showed me a coal black side dotted in that beautiful brookie way -every time you catch one it seems like it’s the most spectacular coloring you’ve ever seen. After giving me a good look, the big trout slipped out of my hand and into the depths of the dam.

I knew it was gone. I followed the line down expecting to come up with nothing, and, surprisingly, I felt my fly stuck to a branch just under the surface of the water. Apparently while I was attempting to bring the fish out of the water, I helped release the hook.

As the feeling of loss washed over me, I began to appreciate the experience for what it was –a window into the natural world where I got to play a part for a few minutes. I had utterly destroyed the fishing for the nearest 50 yards and it was getting pretty dark, so I decided to call it a day. I was still kicking myself a little for my arrogance, but when I replayed the event over again in my mind, I was sort of happy the big trout had outsmarted me. After my greedy decision to fight the fish from a poor position, I would have felt like I pulled a fast one on God after he was nice enough to invite me to the evening performance.

I don’t need that kind of thing on my conscience.

As I walked up the hill in the darkness, I could hear my grandfather’s words, uttered with a smile whenever someone lost a large fish: “That’s how they get so big, by not getting caught.”

So obvious, so simple…but then again.. so is fishing.

http://flyfishingmidwest.com/
Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: So do you fish alone or with a group?

I fish almost exclusively alone and really enjoy that. I would fish with other people if the opportunity presented itself mostly for the learning aspect. Having said that I have never had a really good friend that enjoyed fishing.

One exception to the fishing alone thing is my Dad. I would love to go fishing with him whenever possible.

For me, being alone is half the enjoyment. I am around a lot of people all the time (manage a restaurant, kids, etc.) and love the solitude and reverence of being alone on the river.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:33 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road

thanks jeff, that was a great post. I always love fishing alone. it just lets you get away from everything and just fish.

the only thing bad about fishing by yourself is that nobody will believe you when you say you got a 20 inch brown trout
Old 12-08-2008, 05:58 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I found that if you go fishing alone it ups your chance of catching more fish cause you don't have to watch your buddy hook up all day while you get skunked! haha!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:14 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I fish almost exclusively with my wife and if she outfishes me, then I just smile back at her, knowing that she's having a great time! And so am I!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:13 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I like to mix it up some, it is nice to spend a morning by yourself watching the river go by and think about things or nothing at all, other then what fly to start with.
I do however very much enjoy doing most of my fishing with my wife and son, it makes me feel great watching them grow and learn.
They get such a charge out of things my son is quite the fisherman but still learning and getting many "first", like his first brown a couple weeks ago. My wife is also just learning since being with me the last couple years, she to is turning out to be a wonderful fisherlady. Today I watched as she made several great looking cast back to back, and looked at the river and gave thought as to where to cast and what to use.
I also have a great friend that when we can we fish and always have a great time, its one of those friendships that we know each other well enough that we can fish all day and say two words or fish all day and talk about all sorts of stuff and either way is fine.
Many trips with my grandad and dad in the past while they still both walked this earth will never loose there meaning to me.
Thats the good thing about our sport it leaves the world so open.
There have even been a couple times that I meet and fished with some one , had a great time for the morning or afternoon and never talked to them again.
Good fishin ya'all
Bear
Old 12-08-2008, 07:15 PM

Guy will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: So do you fish alone or with a group?

Great post Jeff, Thanks for the good read!

I feel exactly the same way about being in the zone when fishing alone. The intensity of "becoming one with the stream (or lake or flat)" is what fishing is all about for me and for the time being nothing else matters. To me that is true escapism from every day troubles and worries at its best!

I would suspect that about 75% of my time fishing is by myself. I do enjoy fishing with others from the aspect of sharing a good thing with someone else who is as crazy about fishing as I am. However if the angling partner isn't on the same page,,,,, Can you believe there are actually anglers that put away their rods to go home just when the fishing starts to get good just becuz they told their wife they wouldn't be late for supper???!!!!!

Anyways,,, all the more reason to fish alone!

Tight Lines!

Guy
Old 12-08-2008, 07:51 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Alone mostly, but nothing replaces the fun and laughs of spending the day fishing with a friend either. They are two very different types of fishing days IMO.
When I think about it the times that I've gotten myself in a jam or done something too risky on a river, you got it, always when alone.
Bottom line (not a play on words) is I love them both.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:57 PM

rustydeej is on a distinguished road

Great topic. I prefer to fish alone. The satisfaction of solitude is one of the many pleasures of fishing. Sometimes I just sit on the bank and think about fishing. There are other times I will spend ten minutes redesigning my leader setup. Maybe its just to practice my knots.

I do enjoy fishing with my two adult sons though. They both give me s--t about my unorthodox fishing philosophy. The favor is generally returned. Sitting on the bank watching them work a stretch of the river is very fulfilling.

My wife asks the big question when I get home-what did you and the boys talk about? She knows we don't talk a lot, but she is sure she missed out on some important information. Its all a fun game we play.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

I would say half the time I fish alone and the other half I fish with a friend. Usually not more than one person unless it's my 3 nephews and my sister. I like fishing alone because I can move around where I want and not worry about holding anyone else up or leaving anyone else behind. I too am in a zone when I fish. It is nice when you are fishing with friends to be able to show off your fish to each other.