The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 02:02 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road
Default Chub rule of thumb?

Last spring I went for 2-3 hours for trout one morning. I caught maybe 8 chubs and a sucker, but no trout (although I suspect one that I lost was a 'bow). I felt like I was getting good drifts, had good flies, etc. Where I've done most of my fishing, chubs are a pretty rare occurrence, but apparently some of the places I fish have plenty of them.

So my question: is there any sort of rule of thumb that tells you how to adjust when you're catching chubs instead of trout? I'm thinking of the adage that if you're catching sunfish but no smallmouth, you should try faster water.

I'm sure it's difficult to answer without details, but does that result indicate anything? Was I likely fishing too deep/shallow/quickly/etc? Or was I likely throwing too big/small/flashy a pattern? That sort of thing.

I'm not being snobby and am generally glad to catch what I can, but I'm curious.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:45 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Chub rule of thumb?

normally if you are catching chubs move, seems trout dont hang out with them. or visa a versa..here on the pine if we get into chubs alot we move down or up and then find trout..I think its the predator/prey thing..or chubs just smell..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-12-2008, 05:16 PM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

Chubs enjoy warm water, trout do not....During the colder time of year they co-hab, but when the water temp rise trout seek cooler water and chub live it up in the warmer water.

Other key info is chubs spawn in the early spring and trout cruze the spawing beds to catch a free egg meal.

I find that fish species tend to rotate in a spot. Fish in the AM and catch one species. Fish in the afternoon and catch another, fish in the evening and catch yet another kind of fish species....

Strange that....
Old 12-12-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGal View Post
Chubs enjoy warm water, trout do not....During the colder time of year they co-hab, but when the water temp rise trout seek cooler water and chub live it up in the warmer water.
Ah, I hadn't thought about that angle. It was a warmish day in late spring, and the other guys on the water seemed to be having trouble, too. Maybe the trout had moved to some better spots.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:02 PM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

When that happens seek out the cold water tribs when hunting trout....
Old 12-13-2008, 09:09 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

It has been my experience that trout and chubs will share a stream or stream section, but the trout favor the deeper, cooler portions while the chubs favor the shallower, warmer sections. If you are hitting chubs you need to move to deeper areas in the creek, or closer to a spring feed entering the creek, or to a spot where the water gets more oxygenation, or all three. For example, we have a creek near here that has man made plunges into deep pools that then tail out into shallow, slow, short, flat sections before crossing the next man made plunge and repeating the cycle. The trout hold in the oxygenated plunges and deep pools near the structures, the chubs hold in the shallow, flat sections at the tails of each pool. The shallow, short, flat sections between the tail of one section and the structure starting the next are devoid of fish. As you move upstream on the creek you find no fish, then chubs, then trout, then you cross a structure and start the cycle over again.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:50 AM

Thanks, everyone. This thread's been insightful.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:12 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Although similar to the Creek Chub (caught alot of those as a kid), the Fallfish looks almost identical but can grow to 18". I"ve caught a couple of those in my favorite trout stream in the Eastern Panhandle of WV.

Fight like hell....ugly tho.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Although similar to the Creek Chub (caught alot of those as a kid), the Fallfish looks almost identical but can grow to 18". I"ve caught a couple of those in my favorite trout stream in the Eastern Panhandle of WV.

Fight like hell....ugly tho.
I get a kick out of catching fallfish. They do fight reasonably well, and as long as you're not disappointed when you get it close, you can have a fun time with them. I caught them fairly regularly in PA.