The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 09:56 AM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default a n00b, maybe, but i love the help!

i'm goin out later today to the Guadalupe for some guadalupe trout, and would like some tips on what everyone thinks would work best.

this is a collection of flys i got from my gramps(mostly him), and recommendations from the fly guy at my sportsman's warehouse, and a friend who only fly fishes resorts
Click the image to open in full size.

if ya could download the image and take it to paint and circle the ones you'd feel would be most effective that would be helpful! i'd say just tell me the name, but i'm a n00b and can't function like that quite yet!
Old 12-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Default Re: a n00b, maybe, but i love the help!

if anyone would like me to pick up a fly and show ya a pic of it close up and alone, i'd be more than happy to.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:35 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Mikey,
I've never fished the Guadalupe, but will say, I've never found trout that could resist wooly worms or wooly buggers ... top row of your box.
One idea may be to try ALL of those flies. Go slow, so you can actually give credence to the selection, but figure which ones those trout really like!

Glad to see you getting started at an early age with your fly fishing.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: a n00b, maybe, but i love the help!

The fly that you use is not nearly as important as where you throw it and how it behaves when it gets there
Old 12-20-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The fly that you use is not nearly as important as where you throw it and how it behaves when it gets there
how would you suggest to use the wooly worms or wooly buggers?
Old 12-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

MikeyBob

Top row- big heavily weighted buggers might be good for deeper water pools- cast across stream or slight angle up stream, and strip in with short twitches as it swings down stream. Pause a bit after casting to let it sink down a little. Smaller ones can be fished in shallower water, casting the same way, or feeding out slack directly down stream in faster water and pausing (the fly will drift to the surface), letting out some slack and letting the fly sink. Then letting it come tight and rising etc. strip back in in twitches. This could be good to fish the top of a pool from above, feeding the fly and line down, or steering it downstream in front of rocks with the tip of your rod where trout might be holding.. timing the slack/pause so that the fly rises in front of whee you think a trout might be holding.

The fourth row from the top looks like dry flies--- try casting them angling upstream to current seams where faster water meets slower water, into foam lines, or where current breaks around rocks. The 2 flies in the middle of that row look like they might work if you want to try them. Try to get them to drift with the speed of the current by mending line.

5th row from top, the 3 on the left flies in the middle might be a good wet flies to try. Cast across stream and let it swing in the current, pausing at the end of the swing when the fly line is directly downstream of you. Try short casts at first, then a little longer to cover a lot of water from same spot with the arc of the fly through the stream, then move a couple steps down stream and repeat.

Good luck, and be sure to give us a report!

Check with your parental units, and if itís OK with them PM me your address. Iíll talk to Santa. He may have a few flies to add to your collection if you've been good.

peregrines
Old 12-21-2008, 10:06 AM

peregrines
thank you so much for the help!
repped

Mikey
Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Mikey, I've never fished the Guadalupe, but will say, I've never found trout that could resist wooly worms or wooly buggers ... top row of your box.
Hi Mikey,

As one who fishes the Guad regularly, Auntie Em is right - if all else fails, a Wooly Bugger stripped correctly works as well here in this tailwater as it does elsewhere. Like most tailwaters (San Juan, etc.), midges and nymphs in the smaller sizes (#18-24, & even smaller) are probably the fly of choice, which I didn't see a lot of in your flybox. Another fly that works well are egg patterns (1st on left in bottom row); also, what looks to be a San Juan Worm next to it is a good attractor pattern for the Guad. Keep in mind here, like other tailwaters, a tandem two-fly set-up rig works well for subsurface fishing, putting an attractor like a dry fly, San Juan Worm, etc. as the first fly and a nymph for the second dropper fly.

As always, Peregrines gives excellent advice on how to cast and play the flies.

Good luck!