The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005, 10:40 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Favorite Steelhead fly for Fall Run

One of the great opportunities I have living in West Michigan is river steelhead fly fishing both in the fall & in the spring. I just got started into that aspect about 1 1/2 years ago. I was very fortunate to win a Thomas/Thomas 10' 7wt steelhead rod a my local fly shop. I have leaned numerous patterns for steelhead & have had some success with a few patterns. If you fish for those hard pulling fighters what pattern do you typically use ? Do you like floating or sinking fly line ? Also, do you use a store bought leader, or tie your own ? (What type of line mono or fluorocarbon ?) They are not quite in the rivers yet, but will be fairly soon.

Tie One On
Old 11-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Favorite Steelhead fly for Fall Run

All my experience steelheading has been on bigger rivers in Oregon with teeny type lines and such. My understanding of steel heading in the great lakes areas is that there is more nymphing involved and that the odds of hooking up are much better. I think the popsicle/alaskabou flies look really cool on the swing and are a pretty good imitation of the small squid pacific steelhead eat out in the ocean. Don't think there are too many squid in the great lakes, so you'd likely be better off with clousers and stonefly nymphs. Also might be helpful to look for my post on "bounce nymphing".

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:49 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

I've tied several for guys at work to use in the buchanan mi. area. The one's that I've tied for them and they said worked are: babine special, different glo-bug's, green butt skunk. I've tied others and can't say that they've worked or not. Those are some of the flies that I know that work. Will keep listening to guys at work and let you know more.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:22 AM

harleydeen will become famous soon enoughharleydeen will become famous soon enough

What I primarily use here in the Puget Sound rivers are articulated leeches in blacks, reds, and pinks and a poor man's general practitioner using cross-cut bunny in same colors. If I'm on the Skykomish I also swing some marabou spiders type flies.

S. Behn
Old 11-10-2005, 10:26 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Cliff,

Where do I go on the site to find your posting on Bounce nymphing ? I am somewhat limited at work (during lunch) as to the amount of time to search the site. I am learning many new things since joining in the group. Thank you.

Tie One On
Old 11-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Here it is: What determines the wt of the fly rod?

Here's an article from the author i picked up the technique from: http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/l...rs/index5.html

Here's a thread on another forum with lots of folx who have actually used it extensively weighing in: http://www.utahonthefly.com/chat/showthread.php?t=9778

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.