The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 06:08 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default Fly help

I just got a new fly fishing reel and rod combo and was wondering if a six to seven weight rod would be good for all types of trout? Also, could you guys give me any pointers and also Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:22 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly help

You can catch any trout that swims with a 6/7 wt rod, but its on the bigger end for most trout troutfishing. The only time I use a 6 trout fishing is when I am after bigger trout with heavy flies like big weighted woolybuggers and streamers. That is really a pretty big outfit for most dry flies and nymph fishing. The heavier line creates a bigger splash when it lands a
nd isnt as delicate as it should be. you can fish it alot of diffrent ways just keep these draw backs in mind. Now for the bigger trout and trout flies and bass fishing and stuff like that its a great outfit.
I would say to get a box of size 8-4 weighted woolybuggers, in black, olive, brown and white, some streamers in the same sizes and patterns like babby rainbow, shiner, sculpian, micky finns and leaders in 5-7 lb and go hunt some bigger trout, and a box of deerhair poppers and take those and those same streamers and woolies and go chase some bass.
the main thing is have fun and enjoy life and nature.
Merry Christmas
Bear
Old 12-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Great answer Bear...I can't really think of much more to add to that at the moment.

Welcome morphius, you will get allot of help here.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:36 PM

boone is on a distinguished road

Just remember the best outfit is what you have at the moment. Dont be afraid to chase any trout with that. as said before it will also land larger fish so be happy with what ever you catch good luck. Once you get to where you are happy with your skills go to a smaller (or larger) rod and you will be able to get to a lot more fish.

Good luck!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 01:18 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Great answer Bear...I can't really think of much more to add to that at the moment.

Welcome morphius, you will get allot of help here.
Well thank you ma'am,
Old 01-01-2009, 03:23 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

To start with, this a completely personal opinion:
There are a couple of ways to go about this. A 6 wt is a good all around wt, but will be boring with smaller fish. To make it exciting tie on a 6x tippet, this will give you a very good feel for fighting the fish, however you will break off a butt load of fish before you land one, (if its a fast action rod it will be tough at first to keep the fish on. You have a little more lee way with a medium or slow action rod. Each has its weaknesses and strengths). I like my 6 wt for bass, big trout, summer steelhead and its probably a okay wt for saltwater, which I don't really have any experience with.
I have a 4 wt that I fish most of the time cuz I fish for trout most of the time. Also a good wt for Blue gill and other warm water species.
IMO, just start fishing with the equipment you have and as you gain experience with it you will find what you like. Good luck and tight lines.
I also have a 8 wt that is exclusively for steelhead, winter ones in particular, or for that fact any fish that is as big or bigger than a steelhead.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Wesson View Post
To start with, this a completely personal opinion:
There are a couple of ways to go about this. A 6 wt is a good all around wt, but will be boring with smaller fish. To make it exciting tie on a 6x tippet, this will give you a very good feel for fighting the fish, however you will break off a butt load of fish before you land one, (if its a fast action rod it will be tough at first to keep the fish on. You have a little more lee way with a medium or slow action rod. Each has its weaknesses and strengths). I like my 6 wt for bass, big trout, summer steelhead and its probably a okay wt for saltwater, which I don't really have any experience with.
I have a 4 wt that I fish most of the time cuz I fish for trout most of the time. Also a good wt for Blue gill and other warm water species.
IMO, just start fishing with the equipment you have and as you gain experience with it you will find what you like. Good luck and tight lines.
I also have a 8 wt that is exclusively for steelhead, winter ones in particular, or for that fact any fish that is as big or bigger than a steelhead.
I'm not sure I can agree with using a lighter tippet than needed to prolong the fight. We should always land the fish as quick as possible.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree, plus as you said on a fast action, you are asking for break offs. I know you said timing on that one and that would definitely be the case.
You want to feel a small fish more on a 6 weight rod, that rod better be a medium to slow action.
I do have a 6 weight Glass that is still a blast on 12" fish. THEM I would try 6X because the rod is doing the work, not the line.
But, unless you plan on keeping that fish, then get it in fast, don't touch with dry hands if you must touch, and send it on it's way.
As in another post....just because it swims away, doesn't mean it isn't going to die if miss handled.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:13 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I got started using a cheap 6wt. and its a decent all around rod. caught everything from chubs,gills,bass,and even catfish on it. no trout cause we don't got um here. we got steelhead tho but I use a 7wt and 8wt for that. it will work tho. don't worry.. go out try it out! you will be hooked once you hook into a fish.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:37 PM

Ain't that the truth George. Then: "Let the spending begin!" LOL