The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 09:50 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about
Default landlocks vs brookies

Here's a question that might be of interest to someone working in fisheries management. I thought I would post it here before contacting fisheries managers in my area. I have been fishing a stream (for around 20 years) that is tributary to a large river. It is excellent for brookies, not too much fishing pressure. Now, last year, the wildlife and fish dept. stocked landlock salmon in the river. By late last summer, I started catching them in the stream. They are still smallish (12-14 inches). Do the landlocks have any impact on brookies? Meaning would they compete for spawning areas or for food? Maybe someone on the forum is a biologist or has had this kind of experience.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: landlocks vs brookies

Usually, it's the brookies that will overpopulate a stream. How big are they compared to the salmon?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 AM

Well, the brookies range from dinks (4 inches) to decent 12-14 inches. I'm thinking that the landlocks were looking for spawning sites at that time of year. If they successfully spawn, will the young compete with the young brookies next year. Should I expect a drop in age class. I guess only time will tell.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:30 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

I'm not experienced enough to give you a good answer. I know brookies are real survivors and will probably do ok. You have some nice size brookies. I'm jealous.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:48 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: landlocks vs brooks

According to the state of Maine brook trout management plan
Quote:
Introductions of smelts, landlocked salmon and lake trout were made into many waters that originally harbored only brook trout, but the extent of their effect on trout remains unknown.
But big fish eat little fish and brook trout are extremely vulnerable for the the first 2 years of their lives
Old 12-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Education and experience (not bureaucracy) precipitate this response.

When an indigenous specie has its range augmented by a non indigenous specie adverse affects usually result for the original species.

This is not to suggest that the brook trout will become non existent in your spot but comparable introductions of brown trout in brook trout habitat in Pennsylvania has shown that the larger and more aggressive brown trout tend to occupy most of the channel and the brook trout are relegated to the uppermost areas of the watersheds.

In the west the opposite has been found with the eastern brook trout gaining the upper-hand when competing with species such as green back, cut, and indigenous rainbow trout to name a few.

*Disclaimer; I do not make any claims to be an expert regarding this issue and am offering this response based on both theory and practice to which I have had access.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:29 PM

Yeah, from what I know, there is very little done to study trout streams around here. Most of the effort is directed toward lakes (we have a large number in the region). At least, they stock the lakes less and study them more while managing spawning sites. I suspect its more a budgetary matter as opposed to restoring native populations. The natives have long been diluted through years of stocking. Thank you all for the replies. I will talk to a biologist at work that might give me some info on this.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Glass,

In the case of Salmon stocks fisheries commissions are usually trying to establish nursery streams for fish to use counting on them migrating down flow to the lake during the bulk of the year.

Dependant on the size and depth of the river the Brook Trout may or may not be affected by the fall run and subsequent competition for spawning beds. Simply due to size the Land Locks will prefer a deeper tail out to a certain extent.

Almost sounds like I know this material doesn't it........................

Regards
Old 12-28-2008, 08:05 PM

What you're saying makes alot of sense. These landlocks probably run back to the main river where there's more forage fish after the spawning run. I guess I'll know when fishing season comes around next spring if these fish stay in the stream or not. My guess is they won't.