The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Why I swing flies

Why do I love to swing streamers to steelhead or any fish for that matter? Sure an egg catches plenty and nymphing requires its own skill set, but there's something to be said for the swing. Yesterday was one of the double edged swords we on the Erie tribs face every fall, good flows but severely tannic water. There's a consensus that steelhead are agitated by the high acid water that plagues us every year this time of year. So the conditions were poor to say the least. I fished/hiked for miles up and down swinging through empty water, when in the least of all fishey water I could see a small pod of three maybe four fish with one massive shape in the mix. I set myself up at a good distance and first swing, miss strike one. Second swing miss strike two, third swing I was honored with one of the greatest sites a steelheader could see. This big ole buck charged the fly from 6 to 8 feet away and I could see the white of his trap open up and suck in the blue,purple and black tube like a piece of pasta. lift the rod and he was there. After one of those scary "I'm not budging" fights this guy was in my hands. I wanted to share this day with you guys cause, in my experiences, its rare to see the take as the casts are often far and the fly is deep but to see the fish move for the fly instead of putting it right in his face was truly awesome.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why I swing flies

wt bash: Congrats on a great steelie! Getting to see the take had to make it an even better experience! One thing I like about swinging streamers is that the strike is usually violent, nothing subtle about it at all.

Larry
Old 11-12-2010, 09:43 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Very nice looking fish WT... I would love to see the pattern you mentioned; you can never have to many variations in your tube fly box... I assume you were on one of the larger Ohio tribs...

Dan
Old 11-12-2010, 10:00 AM

riverwalker is on a distinguished road

As others have said, very nice fish WT.

I was going to make a new thread but this is a perfect sequay since you're fishing GB tribs this time of year; I was told, and read in a few places that steelies this time of year won't chase streamers or swung flies. They mention that they're sluggish in the cold water, but I seem to remember guys last year with spin gear landing them on flatfish.

Sorry for the newb question; I bought my first fly rod a week ago after years of reading the fly fishing articles with interest. (previous float fisherman).
Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Its not the best pic but that was this flies second fish, I know I'll upset some of the traditional fly guys but having seen every fish from smallies to steelhead hooked solid in the top of the mouth I think I'll be switching over to all tubes. That and the longevity of tube compared to regular ties makes me a firm believer. I was on Conneaut Creek but I'll be taking a break and hitting the trout waters till we get more rain and it blows out the acid water.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

I'll admit the catch rate will drop a bit during the coldest winter months but then I switch up to big gaudy bright flies, alot of marabou and flash tied in. I look at it as I'm not trying to feed them but aggravate them into attacking. Swinging streamers and wets targets the most aggressive fish, stimulating they're territoriality. Its not that they're hungry but they don't want that thing in their area.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:39 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

80% streamers, 20 eggs. my ratio
Old 11-12-2010, 11:01 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

100% swing on my end.

Just for laughs here. Nymph Guy v Swing Guy

MP
Old 11-12-2010, 11:49 AM

riverwalker is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info guys, and thanks for the inspiration WT... I'll try swinging some flies this weekend. North shore Lake O steelies aren't safe... niether are the anglers standing withing range of my casting. Cheers.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Well.............

There is little to add but I couldn't agree more, seeing a bulge on the surface when a big fish takes after a streamer is about as good as it gets when it comes to excitement level.

riverwalker, Welcome to the forum!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well done.

Two of your neighbors wrote a theme song for the event-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.