The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 AM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default Fighting in Big Bertha

I have a 5-6 weight rod and i was wondering what would be the correct procedure would be for reeling in say, a big steelhead just in case i accidentally hit one.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fighting in Big Bertha

I would say take it easy and don't try to bring it in all at once. You might be there for a while while the fish is struggling but it will get tired and it will be easier to bring in. Just play with it for a while.

my .02 cents

John
Old 12-30-2008, 10:06 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Hope you're not using 1X tippet!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:50 PM

jeffcertain is on a distinguished road

RUN downstream as fast as you can without falling.

I have fought more than a few and I always give myself the best chance when I get downstream of the fish and keep constant pressure on. This (most of the time) prompts the fish to run away from the pulling line and into the current - fighting both the river and you.

***Note***
This does not always work. Sometimes they just go where they are gonna go and there is nothing you can do about it.

http://flyfishingmidwest.com/
Old 02-09-2009, 01:57 PM

handtie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcertain View Post
RUN downstream as fast as you can without falling.

I have fought more than a few and I always give myself the best chance when I get downstream of the fish and keep constant pressure on. This (most of the time) prompts the fish to run away from the pulling line and into the current - fighting both the river and you.

***Note***
This does not always work. Sometimes they just go where they are gonna go and there is nothing you can do about it.
Boy I could not agree with this more. I have been ran up and down the banks of the feather river so many times chasing a sal or steelie and what's funny (I know it's not but it is kinda) is the fish usually runs across the river to the other side and then persists to run down stream across every other fisherman and I have to watch each one take the line by hand and move it over their heads.

I always tell people to not try and "Horse" a fish in that size. You'll only break off or break a pole. I usually go light on the line as I like to give'em a real fightin chance. People call me stupid.

So take it easy and take your time. Let'em run up and down till their tired and them simply drag them to shore. Then reap the "Wow, that guy caught that fish on that rod and line!?! Dang he has skills" comments.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:51 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

I'd add to be extra cautious during the last little bit of the fight. I always feel like this is the riskiest time (at least that's when my pounding heart jumps a little higher into my throat), when there's very little stretch since there's very little line coming out of the rod tip. Don't rush the last couple feet just because he's close and you want to nab him while you can. Play him properly the whole way to hand or net.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi morphius,

Here is a FAQ that might give you some ideas. I am not saying it is all correct but it is things that has worked for me.

Frank