The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 10:06 PM

r38ufhd is on a distinguished road
Default Winter trout in the North

Getting all ready for my first winter of fly fishing. The three rivers out my front door are open year round, and I work nights once the snow starts flying. Any good tips, tactics and great stories?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:39 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Winter trout in the North

hmm sink tip, weighted flies and swinging.....?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter trout in the North

Welcome to the forum. It seems like you are in a nice fly fishing area. Good for you! Now you will have to adapt to your situation.

I can't stress this enough. Learn the entomology of your streams and match your fly selection to it. If you can identify key bugs, you will have a solid handle of making the right fly choice. Your local fly fishing outfitter can help you out.

As for techniques, you will choose a technique depending on the patterns that you will be using. If you are using some small critters, good chance that you will be doing a lot of nymphing. If you are using streamers, plan on doing a bunch of swinging. Again, your local outfitter can help you out with that.

Enjoy your winter.

MP