The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 PM

DreamOfMountainStreams is on a distinguished road
Default what is a good but affordable fly line?

im new to fly fishing so i have been reading some books. one i have learned the most from is the LL Bean Hand Book To Fly Fishing. it states in one section that when choosing fly line you should always try to use the same brand from backing to tippet (this is to prevent any inconsistencies between manufacturers regarding breaking strength). i have a 6 wt. reel and a 9 ft 6 wt. rod. was wondering if anyone would recommend some brands that i could consider that is good but affordable?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:08 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: what is a good but affordable fly line?

This doesn't sound right. Are you sure they didn't mean all the material in a leader should be the same brand?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOfMountainStreams View Post
recommend some brands that i could consider that is good but affordable?
If you can find some Rio or Scientific Anglers lines of last years models they'll be some of the finest lines out there at half the price many paid.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:08 PM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

If that's an accurate example of some of the **** you gleaned from that book, I suggest you drop it in the trash. Look, I don't mean to sound crumudgeonly but, in my opinion, flyfishing suffers greatly from a malady called 'marketing b.s.', and it annoys the hell out of me. Your backing is probably going to be 20 lb., your flyline at least that, and your tippet somewhere between 2-15 lb test, depending on the conditions/species of fish you're persuing. To imply that you may break fish off because your backing isn't consistent with your leader is nothing but silly. My advise concerning your choice in flyline would be to go with a mid-priced ($45-$50) name brand line (such as Cortland, Scientific Anglers, or numerous others) , and take proper care of it - it should last you for years. And don't get caught up in the current marketing campaign concerning 'specialty' flylines... a simple weight forward floating line is your best starting point. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of flyfishing.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

DOMS-

It is a decent book, but I think Old Man is right—maybe the book was referring to the construction of a knotted, tapered leader. Mixing different brands (and especially mixing different types like mono and fluoro) might cause a problem seating knots occasionally---that being said, I mix different brands of mono all the time. The brands of backing, fly line and leader can all be different, and usually are from what I've seen.

As far as your six weight rod goes, there are a lot of different choices. I’d go with a 6 weight line to match your rod line rating in a weight forward, floater. It would be designated something like “6 wt WF-F” .

As far as specific choices for an inexpensive line, Scientific Anglers Air Cel (about 25 bucks) would be a good one, with more options a bit higher (Rio Mainstream about 35 and Sci Anglers Air Cel Supreme 2 at 38 bucks).

Inexpensive house brands can be good, but it’s a bit of a **** shoot. Close out or over stock sites like Sierra Trading Post can also be a source of bargains, but look for name brands like Rio or Scientific Anglers.

You may also need backing for the fly line. 20lb test Dacron or Micron backing (any brand). A 100 yd spool will usually run around 100 bucks and should be more than enough for your reel. (There's probably some info that will list backing capacity for your reel with the packaging. It should probably be anywhere from 50-80 yds. If you buy this from a fly shop, take your reel along and have them rig it for you. They’ll put the right amount of backing on, and will be able to do the knot thing, and attach a leader to the fly line for you.

If you want to do it yourself, and are not sure of the knots to use, go to Animated Knots by Grog

Backing to reel- arbor knot
Backing to fly line- Albright knot.
Fly line to leader- Nail knot
Tippet to leader- Double Surgeons knot

Hope this helps.

peregrines
Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hook & Hackle High Floater

Quality line... reasonable price.... on sale $30

peregrines is right ... it's when you are building your own leaders is when it is recommended you use all of the same brand of mono.
Most experienced people that build their own don't pay any attention to this anyway.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

There are many ways to cut $20 out of the cost of a weekend fishing trip...don't let your choice of fly line be one of them.

Skip the McDonalds breakfast there and back, and put that money towards the next best line than you planned on getting.

If you were planning on getting the $25 store-brand, get the RIO Mainstream instead. If you were planning on the $35 Mainstream, get the Rio Gold or Cortland 555 Dyna Tip.

(These lines are just examples; there are many good lines out there, but the difference between even the $35 Mainstream and the cheaper lines is amazing.)

Oh, and you're not playing golf while fishing, so you just saved $100 there, too!

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 02-09-2009, 10:17 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the model rod you have (some cast better with lines that are
1/2 size heavier, e.g. Scientific Anglers GPX), and what type of fly you're
casting. Heavier flies like wooly buggers, streamers, and Muddler Minnows
can benefit from a weight forward line with a bass bug type taper. One
such line at a reasonable price is Scientific Anglers HeadStart. Sells for
around $45. I prefer SA's GPX on most of my rods, but do use SA's Mastery
Trout on occassion.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:20 PM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOfMountainStreams View Post
im new to fly fishing so i have been reading some books. one i have learned the most from is the LL Bean Hand Book To Fly Fishing. it states in one section that when choosing fly line you should always try to use the same brand from backing to tippet (this is to prevent any inconsistencies between manufacturers regarding breaking strength). i have a 6 wt. reel and a 9 ft 6 wt. rod. was wondering if anyone would recommend some brands that i could consider that is good but affordable?

I have a SA sharkskin 6 weight on a reel that I will sell you for $45 (plus shipping). It is not brand new but will still last you years and years. This is the best casting, best floating line out there. It would cost you $100 new.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
DOMS-
You may also need backing for the fly line. 20lb test Dacron or Micron backing (any brand). A 100 yd spool will usually run around 100 bucks and should be more than enough for your reel.
peregrines
I think there's an extra 0 there.

I bought Rio Grand line on sale for $35. Look around. There are deals out there on good stuff.