The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default hit the stream

got skunked yesterday like usual in the winter. lots of open water but no hits . still had fun and was practicing drfiting with eggs. saw a guide there with a guy and he said he didn't catch any there either. oh well always next time. he told me a few tips. to use oregon cheese colored spawn and such. heres some pix enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV31757.JPG (79.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31758.JPG (76.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31772.JPG (79.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31759.JPG (79.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31765.JPG (80.0 KB, 21 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: hit the stream

few more to show you how cold it is when we fish for winter steel. icy guides and even my army bdu top got wet on the bottom and froze stiff! lol. gotta love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV31760.JPG (83.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31749.JPG (79.1 KB, 41 views)

Old 01-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

McFly

Cool pictures! Thanks for sharing. Winter fishing can be difficult, but it sure is fun getting out.

I got skunked the other day fishing the Roaring Fork near Carbondale, CO, the temps were really cold, but no wind. I have a pair of 5mm neopreme waders from my time in Alaska, they don't work worth a hoot in the summer, but they sure keep me warm during the winter trips.

Larry
Old 01-06-2009, 10:34 PM

thanks mcnerney I been itching to get out. its been awhile too! I had alot of fun. I got some neo's also for cold winter. my feet still get cold when wading after awhile no matter what I do. I just get out and walk around and stuff for a lil bit to warm up if possible. in the summer I use breathables. you will never wanna wear anything other once you give um a try! oh ya i found a great way to combat icy guides yesterday. cast a couple times and every 10 min or so take your rod and blow some hot air on your guides and it melts and falls off with a quick wipe. noone ever mentioned that one before. prolly cause its common sense.... haha

Old 01-07-2009, 10:17 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Totally envious of your getting out!! We're too far from our spring fed streams, and all our otherwise cold water is "hard" water now. Just biding my time looking at pictures, tying flies, building rods, and furling leaders. Boy, will I be ready come spring!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice! Winter FF'ing pics are my favorite. It shows determination.

I was out on New Year's Day, and my guides iced within minutes. Last year
was the first time I fished when the temps were below freezing, and I found
that the flexibloe Ti guides on my Diamondback Aeroflex rods did not ice; the
chrome guides on my other rods did ice that day, however. I've read that Ti
guides (at least the ReCoil type) don't ice as much as chrome. My guess is the thinner wire, and also the slight vibration that can be heard while shooting
line. The Ti guides do get a light coating of ice, but it falls off before growing
into the mess I had last week on my chrome guides.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:46 PM

it was my 1st tiem out in over a month cause the rivers been **** lately. ya last time I went out before this I put some fly line cleaner on my line,leader and guides and never had a problem cause the ice kept slushing up and falling off on the cast. somehow this time my fly line cleaner was MIA! so icy guides it was. looks like the weathers gonna be **** this week and the rivers gonna ice again. it never fails!! lol.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:23 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

It figures. The rivers around here get about right, and the weather turns cold. Next week it'll be way too cold. I'm sure the rivers will freeze. The Clearfork will likely be ok as it's a tailwater, assuming they close the dam. But fishing won't be much fun with the forecast temps below 20 and into single digits.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 PM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road

I know the fishing is tougher this time of year, but it's almost worth it because the crowds are as hard to find as the fish!
Old 01-10-2009, 12:46 AM

so the clearfork doesn't freeze? I never knew that. we were waiting for warmer weather like march/april weather to get out and try for browns. any tips or info would be appreciated!