The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 10:24 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Hooks I found in my basement

I found a box of these Hooks & was wondering what I have. They were given to me 20 some yrs ago & I put them in a box & just came across them when I was moving my tying area. I know that they are Salmon Fly hooks & about size 6/0-7/0. They are well made with all of them being almost identical & the points & barbs are nicely made. I'm trying to find out where they were made & any info about them. I'm guessing that they are 50-60 yrs. old.They're pretty heavy duty & are non eyed. I don't tie Salmon Flies yet but I'm now trying to find some materials & will give it a try eventually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Found Hooks.jpg (54.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hooks I found in my basement

Very cool FISHN50, but I got nothin.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Do they have a loop eye or are they without an eye? I can't tell in your pic.

I believe you have found a bunch of blind eye hooks by the look of the photo. These may be worth more for sale than to tie on. Do you have the box and is it bearing the makers mark? If so keep it in as good of shape as you can.

Depending on the vintage and the maker, there are people out there shopping for vintage hooks for show ties. Tying with the blind eye hook is an acquired taste to say the least. Mostly for show.

Hope this helps in identifying them.

Ard aka Bullwinkle
Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

a hook without a eye is no good to me...

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

These are Blind eye hooks. Here are some more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hooks 1.jpg (65.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Hooks 2.jpg (35.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-18-2009, 10:32 PM

Backcastwards will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
a hook without a eye is no good to me...
I believe the non- eyed hooks are for tying traditional Atlantic salmon flies. An eye is tied in using braided dacron or some such material.
Click the image to open in full size.
Gary
Old 01-18-2009, 11:35 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

I was just playing. I tie for fishing. no show.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:18 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I would be interested in them
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-19-2009, 10:47 AM

nearnuff is on a distinguished road

The hooks are part of the evolution of the fly hook. The eye for the fly came after this development. The original eye was made of cat gut and tied in to make the loop. It is still used for display salmon flies by some excellent tiers today.
An interesting aside to this is this type of fly when used in the late 1800's and early 1900's was the genesis of the "Riffling Hitch" technique of fishing atlantic salmon. The English gentlemen fishing the salmon rivers in Newfoundland with cat gut eyes would discard the hooks once the eye was broken. The local anglers would retreive them and tie a half hitch behind the head to put them back in use. At times this modification would out fish a new fly. The "V" wake on the surface at times drives fish crazy and not just salmon!!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:47 PM

wow never thought they added a eye to it. just thought it was usded to tie for show. neat!