The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 06:15 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road
Default lamson reel ?s

first i'd like to say hello i'm new here. i'm trying to decide between a lamson force 3x, litespeed 3.5 or velocity 3.5. any input or direction would be appreciated. pros and cons also. by the way i fish for great lakes steel head ,what a rush
Old 01-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: lamson reel ?s

Chas,

I have a 3.5 and don't see a great deal of difference between the drags on most of their reels. I guess it comes to a dollars and cents or what you like situation.

Ard
Old 01-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The drag is indeed the same on all of them, they just get lighter as the price goes up. Due to that, just buy the one that balances best with the rod you'll be using. (Make sure to include the weight of the line somehow)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:17 AM

maximus is on a distinguished road

the finish is also different i could hit my litespeed with a hammer and not scratch it
Old 02-20-2009, 05:57 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with BigCliff.

I like the Litespeed and use the 3.5 model on both my 8 wt. and 9 wt. rods (floating and sink-tip lines). It's a nice reel with a very smooth conical drag system and although I haven't fished for steelhead (yet), it certainly does the job nicely with stripers in the 30+" range. Also works well for me on bonefish and permit. Retail prices are in the $250-300 range.

Considering price, Lamson re-vamped their Velocity model this year and it looks like a nice reel to me; same bullet-proof Hard Alox finish but I haven't had a fish on it yet. That will drop you down about $50; into the $200-250 range.

There's also the new Guru reel; which has the same mechanicals, but lacks the Hard Alox finish. I looked is over at the NJ FF show this year. That's down another $50; into the $150-200 range. I'm going to try one of these reels this spring since most of the fishing that I do is for trout in the 12-18" range.

I've looked at the Konic model as a back-up reel, but the visual on this reel isn't right for my taste. But, they're selling a lot of them and the reports that I get back from my local Fly shop are that people who fish them, like them. That will drop you down another $50.

If price isn't a blocking factor and if you want to go Lamson, then I'd go with the Litespeed model. I have 5 of them; from 1.5 to 4.0, and I really like them all.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:51 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road

thanks you guys for the input. i ended up buying the lamson (waterwoks) ula force 3.5. it set me back a bit, and i havent got to use it yet cause the rivers have been frozen over completely. but they just let loose so it wont be long. i know how i am, when i buy something if theres a higher model i usally wish i would have waited to get the better one. this time i waited. the drag and clutch system are the same on some of thier models but the force is significantly lighter, and it looks bad ass. the velocity and lightspeed in terms of construction are supposed to be top notch, but im not liking the appearance too much. if i couldnt have gotten the force reel i would have went with the lightspeed and im sure it wouldnt take long to change my mind about the looks.