The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: question

Yep, big fan. Try the longer lengths and faster sink rates if you need it to really get a fly down.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 PM

FlyfishnakedInc is on a distinguished road

I use a floating line at times for larger flies. I use a longer leader - tippet combo and control the depth with pinch on strike indicators. It's an effective way to use floating line for sub surface, till you can budget in a sink tip or full sink. In this economy we need all the help we can get. Happy fishing

Joni those sinking leaders in the short 5 and 6 foot lengths I have tried as well they work great in the rivers here in Washington for getting large flies down deep in fast current for Steelhead but for most other apps. they suck i havnt had much success with them either.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Joni
If your talkin' leadheads... yeah I use them a lot
I made my own from the Cortland LC-13. In my trout gear I carry a 6", a 12", and a 24". In my saltwater vest I carry a 2' and a 4'.
The two that get used the most are the six inch and the four foot.
The six inch is used between the leader and the tippet instead of using splitshot.
The four foot is usually used as an extra heavy sink-tip on a full sink line to get waaaay down. You'd think that combo would be tough to cast.... but it's not.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Joni
If your talkin' leadheads... yeah I use them a lot
I made my own from the Cortland LC-13. In my trout gear I carry a 6", a 12", and a 24". In my saltwater vest I carry a 2' and a 4'.
The two that get used the most are the six inch and the four foot.
The six inch is used between the leader and the tippet instead of using splitshot.
The four foot is usually used as an extra heavy sink-tip on a full sink line to get waaaay down. You'd think that combo would be tough to cast.... but it's not.
Small pieces make sense. I have some lead core TROLLING line I was going to make some out of. I think I will try the shorter stuff. The ones I bought are 5'.
Thanks Rip Tide...as you can tell I really hate using sink putty or split shot except on deep nymphing. I hate swinging that stuff around.

J
Old 02-06-2009, 04:05 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Joni, the guy at the shop I bought these from told me this: With the sinking leaders tie on whatever tippet I wanted. The leaders themselves are only 7' long. With the sinking tips, cut them to the length needed to get the fly to the proper depth. He suggested starting with 3' and 5'. It comes in a 30' piece with 3 braided loops. I just bought extra loops. There are various sink rates and line weights available.

I haven't used them as yet so, I can't tell you firsthand how well they work. I was told by the shop the sink tips worked very well. The sinking leaders he hadn't tried, yet.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
That's what the Cortland LC-13 and the Rio T-14 are for.
(you can get the T-14 as a kit.... Orvis doesn't carry the premade leadheads any longer)
I carry homemade 'leadheads' in a bunch of different lengths for mix and match sink tips.
Very handy
Rip Tide,

Do you mean the loop to loop sink tips that you can attach your floating line? If so, Orvis still carries them: Instant Sink Tip

I use them in a pinch, but would rather use a sinking line. I also make my own from trashed sinking lines in different lengths.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Funny thing about those Orvis sink heads. I do allot of STILLWATER from my pontoon. I try to carry pre loaded rods so I don't have to change line in the middle of the lake, So, I carry a rod loaded with floating for surface or add more leader and deep nymph. Then I carry a rod with either Intermediate or Type II, and then I carry a rod with Depth Charge or Type VII. Once out on the lake, everyone else was using TYPE IV. Yup! the II wasn't fast enough and the VII too fast. SO, I put on a IV sink head on my type II......BAM! There they are!
They do have their place.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:28 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I was just looking at the Rio sinking leaders. They're 12# test (also come in 20#), 7' long. I guess you could tie on two different pieces of tippet to make them long as you wanted. They also come in different sink rates. I tied loops on the ends, and will go loop to loop to connect tippet.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:31 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Most "experts" I've read or heard say to use short, heavier leaders with streamers than you'd use with nymphs or dry flies. This is especially important when using a sink tip line; if the leader is too long, the sink tip won't be able to pull it down as deep or as fast as it should.

Our TU meeting last month was on streamer fishing for trophy trout in our Tennessee tailwaters, and his usual leader for streamer fishing is 24" of 20 pound mono, and 24" of 10 pound Flouro; no tippet. His pics of 24" to 30" brown trout sure were impressive.

I mention that because the home-made (Cortland kits similar to the Orvis mentioned earlier) sink tips I used with floating lines were pretty tough to cast when using 8 to 10 foot leaders, but when I cut the leaders back to 4 feet they cast just fine.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 02-10-2009, 04:50 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I try to carry pre loaded rods so I don't have to change line in the middle of the lake, So, I carry a rod loaded with floating for surface or add more leader and deep nymph. Then I carry a rod with either Intermediate or Type II, and then I carry a rod with Depth Charge or Type VII.
Hmmmm, I wonder if I can use that as a reason to justify buying more fly rods!