The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:26 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default question

I have 6 wt floating fly line and cannot afford sinking tip line and want to use streamers for big trout. What can I do to fish these patterns? In other words, what could i do for leaders to cast streamers?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:33 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: question

If you can find a cheap sink line you can make your own tips for your floating line.
Cut sections of the full sink line, cut off the front for a heavy tip and the back for a lighter tip.
You have to use loop to loop conections for this. If you want a little better detail, let me know.
Bear
Old 02-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Weight your streamers or use split shot at the nose to get them down when using your floating line.

You could also make a short sinking section out of lead core line using the same method Bear described. I think Orvis makes a kit designed just for this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-04-2009, 07:44 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
If you can find a cheap sink line you can make your own tips for your floating line.
Cut sections of the full sink line, cut off the front for a heavy tip and the back for a lighter tip.
You have to use loop to loop conections for this. If you want a little better detail, let me know.
Bear
That's what the Cortland LC-13 and the Rio T-14 are for.
(you can get the T-14 as a kit.... Orvis doesn't carry the premade leadheads any longer)
I carry homemade 'leadheads' in a bunch of different lengths for mix and match sink tips.
Very handy
Old 02-04-2009, 08:06 PM

wfosborn is on a distinguished road

Hi Morphius,

I pretty much only use a floating line up here any more. I've found using a fluorocarbon leader makes a big difference on getting flies to sink. I vary my leader length and sometimes us a little weight on my flies and haven't had any trouble getting down to whatever depth I want. Just takes a little practice to figure out where to cast to have my fly at the proper depth at the right time.

--W
Old 02-04-2009, 08:20 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I fish streamers with a floating line all the time. not very deep. maybe 5 to 6 ft at most.. I just use beadheads, coneheads or dumbell eyes or bead chain eyes on them and catch bass,, gills and steel all the time with um

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I fish streamers with a TYPE II sinking line. Walmart has sales on sinking lines all the time and I don't think they are a critical as a floating line as far as quality. Presentation is not an issue with underwater flies, plus no need for tapered leaders.

Check out Kelly Galloup. I found out last summer when I met him, he fishes full sink lines also and he is the Streamer Guru in my eyes.

Plus full sink lines are much easier to cast than sink tips or split shot.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Joni;48045]I fish streamers with a TYPE II sinking line. Walmart has sales on sinking lines all the time and I don't think they are a critical as a floating line as far as quality. Presentation is not an issue with underwater flies, plus no need for tapered leaders.

Check out Kelly Galloup. I found out last summer when I met him, he fishes full sink lines also and he is the Streamer Guru in my eyes. Mine too.

Plus full sink lines are much easier to cast than sink tips or split shot.You don't like Lead in the back of the head? No day is complete without wind and lead.[/quote]

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Rio make sinking tips you can get in different sink rates, for different weight lines. Just cut the length you want to determine how deep it sinks. They also make sinking leaders. You can just tie on whatever tippet you want.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post
Rio make sinking tips you can get in different sink rates, for different weight lines. Just cut the length you want to determine how deep it sinks. They also make sinking leaders. You can just tie on whatever tippet you want.
I have a question, I bought those sinking leaders before from both Orvis and Cabela's. They were about 5' long. Now I will admit they are easier to cast than a bunch of split shot, but they just don't cut it for me.
Anyone use these on a regular basis?