The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tandem knot set up

I do the tag thing. More like a "V". I watched Davy and know exactly what Jake is saying.
I have tried tying off the bend of first hook and off the eye. The eye is fine if Dry Dropper, but if two nymphs, the lead fly has got to be effected by the dropper. Not a natural float. Oh I caught fish on both, but I guess I want more a natural drift for both flies, so the "V" or basically what Davy does.

And I use a surgeon's loop to attach my flies to tippet, more movement.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat4040 View Post
Frank, I'm down to 4lb with the Maxima that i'm tying everything to. I like your way the best because I change from single to double a lot quicker. I do use the improved clinch knot to tie on, who knows what i'm doing wrong.
My plan has so far been to get on the water with a single fly, start casting to get in the groove so i'm dropping my line where I want to (sort of a warm up). After that I tie on the dropper, quick and easy. I only took fly fishing up a little over a year ago and am still concerned about controling the line. I also like to warm up mending the line cause it's something I learned at the end of the year last year.
But I got a lot of good possiblilities here and ideas to work on, Thanks a lot.
Your trouble of the knot sliding on the hook bend may be because you are using Maxima. Try a softer mono like Frog Hair and see if that improves the knot holding ability on the bend of the hook. I don't have the problem you are describing and I don't use Maxima for tippet.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Maxima Leader Material

Maxima is a good compromise between hard nylon, which is low in strength, and limp nylon, which can be too soft to turn over some flies under specific conditions. If you are tying your own leaders, consider building the butt section with Maxima and perhaps use something else for the tippet. 27 yards.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 AM

Wildcat4040 is on a distinguished road

Frank i'm going to my local fly shop tomorrow and i'll check out the frog hair brand. I've seen it before. I kept reading about the invisibility of the maxima ultra green. My leader strength i'm building is 10lb, 6lb, down to 4lb. does the taper sound ok? I started making them because I wanted shorted crappie leaders (7'). but for trout what size frog hair do you recomend for the tippet. I have to say I do use regular leaders to because I have them. When I first started I bought several and have them in my box. Funny the weird things we pick to do that is unconventional.
I am still reading the Davy system but the simplicity of the knot on the hook is hard to resist. Also i'm still researchinhing exactly what Joni said about the presntation with some system. Like I said as a junior flyman I like the warmup period with a single.
Well out of everything davy had to offer at least I got a simple to tie knot in the field.
The only one that really has me baffled is whizzers slider, i'm thinking of calling that one the Budweiser system...
Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I have been lurking on this thread for a bit...I'm interested in this also as I've never tried it on the water, or elsewhere for that matter.

Since I am just starting out in tying, I've seen some flies that have a bit of mono tied under the tail for just this reason.

Does anyone do this and how?

Also, how much trouble does one get as far as tangling goes when casting?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish droppers a lot. Almost all the time in salt water.
90% of the time I'll just use the 'tag off the tippet loop/V' like Joni uses

The other 10% is when I fish a traditional 'cast' of wet flies on a trout river. Then I'll use dropper loop knots to fish 3 or even 4 flies at once.

IMO The 'truck and trailer' (tying the dropper to the hook point) is the least desirable method for fishing droppers for the simple fact that a fish needs to push that dropper tippet out of the way in order to take the upper fly.
I know most people fish their droppers this way, so I don't expect my opinion to be popular, but there are better ways.

I tie my leaders with Maxima Chameleon but I never use it for the tippet. It's too hard.... I think I using some tippet material from Cabela's now
That Frogs Hair is too pricey for me
Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi axle27,

I have never use the mono tail on a fly. I don't think I have see a fly like that. Fishing droppers does take some getting use to. The more droppers the more problems with tangling. That is one reason I like to use an indicator fly and the dropper off the hook bend. It is the easiest set up to cast. The same with two nymphs. Having the flies in series makes them easier to cast.

Rip Tide, every body has to experiment and find the best way that works for them. There are different ways but I don't know that we can call any method the "Best Way".

Frank
Old 02-13-2009, 12:47 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Your trouble of the knot sliding on the hook bend may be because you are using Maxima. Try a softer mono like Frog Hair and see if that improves the knot holding ability on the bend of the hook. . . .
Hi Frank,

I use Frog Hair # 6 Fluorocarbon tippit to tie on the dropper line off of the first fly's hook bend. As I mentioned below, I've had trouble with the connection slipping off the hook because it's barbless.

Neil
Old 02-13-2009, 01:26 PM

Wildcat4040 is on a distinguished road

That was the other issue I didn't want to bring up because no one else was saying it but it seemed to be an issue to discuss. The fact that for the fish to take the upper fly with the technique of tying the dropper to the hook he (Mr. fish) had to get through past the tippet tied to the hook. So if he was approaching from the rear he may actually push the dry fly away before he cold hit it. So RipTide statement can be viewed as being a stron point against this type set-up. I'm totally into this Davy thing as far as providing the best access to both flies for hits, but it is sort of a permanent setup on the leader which is why I liked the other method. Now, what the heck am I looking for in a tippet? A soft line? Is#4 too light. Maybe i'll get a spool of frog hair #4. Does it say on the tippet spool if its soft or hard. Another thing to learn... Heck I'm still trying to figure out this hook size formula.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Dropper Flies. I first saw one at Orvis. Seemed easy enough, and a great idea.
I do make them when I am tying larger dries, never tried it on smaller dries (I use the tag then).
But they do work quite nice. Just attach a MONO loop before you make your fly.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:12 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Dropper Flies. I first saw one at Orvis. Seemed easy enough, and a great idea.
I do make them when I am tying larger dries, never tried it on smaller dries (I use the tag then).
But they do work quite nice. Just attach a MONO loop before you make your fly.
Joni - neat! But how do you attach the mono loop so that it won't come loose if the dropper ends up taking a big one?