The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 08:06 AM

Wildcat4040 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tandem knot set up

Really nice idea, thanks for the tip, I never heard of them. I ordered a bunch of different sizes on line. can't wait to get them and try out different setups.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:54 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Thumbs up Re: Tandem knot set up

Joni,
I like your loop to loop set-up...I fish tandem fly rigs for most of my steelhead fishing and when setting my leader up I use the double surgeon knot to attach my tippet. I leave one tag long for tying my dropper to. I see with your set-up it would be very easy to pre-tye some rigs; would be wonderful on those cold winter steel days...

Dan
Old 04-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely Dan...or in my case, what condition the old arthritis is in. Some days better than others you know.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:36 PM

Softouch333 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat4040 View Post
Really nice idea, thanks for the tip, I never heard of them. I ordered a bunch of different sizes on line. can't wait to get them and try out different setups.
Another advantage is that tippet rings are a great way to set up a bounce nymphing rig (a la Larry Tullis), with weight on the point and a nymph dropper.

When you add a dry fly dropper to a tippet ring as an indicator, the subsurface is more at a 90 degree angle than a hook bend tie off.

Tippet rings have all the advantages of loop to loops but without the snags.