The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 04:41 AM

Mostyn will become famous soon enoughMostyn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What are you using to insulate your hands from the cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang old king View Post
I know I'm a new guy too this Board but I have been around many forums.

This topic is a sticky wicket for sure.

Gloves and fish slime.Unless your harvesting your catch,I would highly recommend Non absorbent gloves.

Or if you remove your absorbent gloves prior to handling your catch,Your doing the fish and fellow anglers a favor.

Most of the rivers I fish are C&R The rules in Colorado state the fish must be returned to the water immediately.

I wish it said unharmed and immediately. I cant tell you how many fish I've seen in spring and mid summer,that have finger and thumb prints on them from the previous winters

battles with man.

Tail rot and skin rot on a trophy's makes me sad on several different levels.

1. For the fish, what a horrible way to suffer as parasites eat away at your skin & flesh. Ethical and humane were words from a recent C&R thread.

Most of the fish I see, that have been damaged by mishandling, live in slack and back water eddy's trying to stay up right to grab the slightest morsel's that pass.All are dying and just waiting for that

last gasp if you will.

2 For the future angler that missed out on such an amazing creature.Uneducated anglers create the problem but they fish where I fish so it has become my problem.

I saw a book the other day.The author of the book uses a bright colored bandanna to knuckle his fish.I couldn't believe it.

My son recently presented me with a pair of Sims fingerless retractable mittens..I've used them once so far but removed them prior to handling my catch.

This removal has a two fold purpose..One keeps the glove dry,two leaves the fish unscathed.

I was very comfortable in the winter with an "Old Electricians" trick I being the Old Electrician..

The use of latex gloves and those tiny jersey wool type gloves.

1st apply a pair of latex..traps the heat in your hand

2nd apply jersey/stretchy type... keeps your rubber covered hand warm

3rd apply 2nd layer of latex..keeps the cloth dry and provides a semi tacky surface so you can manipulate line and reel.

This method works. Keeps you warm,you don't have to remove gloves and protects that ever crucial layer of slime on our finned friends.

Just my 2 cents worth
Hi D O K,

I'm from the UK. I like the post you submitted above; and I believe we should all take note of it while out fishing and handling fish! I'm sure the above post would be appreciated on the UK, forum!! Could you repeat it on : flyfishingforums.co.uk Thanks

Mostyn
Old 12-08-2010, 02:59 AM

smudger564 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smudger564

Hi All, Just so your aware, I've added your post to the UK Flyforums, Dang Old King.

I think most people will agree, that it is a Good post.

Best Regards

Stuart
Old 12-11-2010, 01:56 PM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough

I got some Flip Mitts from Galcier Gloves. They are amazing. I take them off for the grip and grin so they don't get water and fish slime on them. Other than that, my hands are warm all of the time. Even in below freezing temperatures.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:50 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryseiter View Post
I got some Flip Mitts from Galcier Gloves. They are amazing. I take them off for the grip and grin so they don't get water and fish slime on them. Other than that, my hands are warm all of the time. Even in below freezing temperatures.
BULLY BULLY my friend..Love the term "Grip and Grin"..get them wet ..whats the point of wearing them.. good move Sir!

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostyn View Post
Hi D O K,

I'm from the UK. I like the post you submitted above; and I believe we should all take note of it while out fishing and handling fish! I'm sure the above post would be appreciated on the UK, forum!! Could you repeat it on : flyfishingforums.co.uk Thanks

Mostyn
You can use anything I say anytime you want Brother Fisher!
If it helps use it!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I worked every winter for more than a decade on the ice of Lake of the Woods, for fisheries on a snowmobile. It is nothing to see 20 below zero here. I have been out many times at 30 below. The best thing I ever found was a real thin set of silver woven mylar gloves. I wore them under my regular gloves. If your hands were warm when you put them on, they stayed warm. I finally wore out the last pair I had. I have not seen them around in a few years, but if you can find them they are the best things around. Get a fairly tight fitting pair and wear them under whatever you normally wear. They really work. If you can find them let me know where. I have Ice Armor gloves now and they do a pretty good job. The best outer gloves ever were a leather pair of Polaris snowmobile gloves. Spendy but they worked really well. I don't think you can get those anymore either.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:55 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

Hello Folks...I am following DOK from another place we have posted for quite a while......I signed up here a year ago...but am a brand new poster here...

What DOK is writing is very important stuff for those that Love C&R...when its cold out a lot of anglers let down their guard where they normally wouldnt ...but the fish still need the care just as much...

I hate gloves...and it seems the fleece type fishing gloves that do keep you warm even when they get a little wet are like super velcro for flies( like the simms fleece jobbies)...especially smaller flies , talk about some tangles !

what I do nowadays when releasing I trys to keep my catch in my rubber net(you know the kind...no mesh, soft rubber bag) I bend the bag shut, containing the fish and try and keep the fish sumberged along the shorline without rubbing it on rocks or sand etc...then w/ my free hand I remove the hook with my forceps...pinching the barbs can make this a lot easier...which isnt a bad idea anyway...

this technique took me a while to actually master...several of the ranches I worked on take proper ( and gentle) releasing technique extremely serious...unfortunately at even some of the most famous C&R streams all over some folks think simply letting go a fish and not taking it home for dinner accomplishes the mission intended...nothing could be further from the truth...

with the method I described I dont even think about the cold...that is untill I have to tie on a size 22 w/ 5X...no cures I know of for that except pre-tying up my dropper rigs at home in front of the stove the night before...LOL...

to happy fish and warm finger tips...

all the best...ted

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 12-12-2010, 06:42 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I hate gloves! I start out wearing them but they end up in my pocket.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 PM

smudger564 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smudger564

Hi All, Sorry, but I need to wear something, to combat the cold. I don't see the problem with covering up, after all, anyone can be uncomfortable.

Finding the right glove is going to take some time, I think, but thanks for the feedback so far.

Best Regards

Stuart
Old 01-02-2011, 07:42 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Windstopper fingerless with pullover mitts. I peel them when handling fish.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:50 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Fingerless wool for me, with a handwarmer in my pocket if needed. I do my best to not touch the fish, net it, take a pic in the net, forceps to take the fly out, put it back in the water.

When I first started out and didn't know any better, I posted a couple pics of a nice fish laying on the rocks and I got some good advice from this forum about how to better handle fish. The above is what I have come to now, and I try to do this regardless of the time of year. I figure the less handling of the fish the better.

just my .02

d