The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you using to insulate your hands from the cold?

OK, my first answer is for this time of year here. When the water is still soft enough you can't drive the truck on it I go in stages. First the fingerless wool gloves. Then fingerless wool gloves with neoprenes under them. Neoprenes are not very good at keeping your hands warm, just dry. In between I sometimes use thinner gloves under the wool fingerless ones. I also hae a pair of fingerless wool ones that have a fold back mitten end that hooks to the back of the glove with velcro and they are insulated with thinsulate. I think a bunch of gloves will work better than a single pair.
Click the image to open in full size.
The wool ones
Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I don't think we should ever handle a fish if we can help it, especially in very cold Winters. Land the fish in a net and remove the fly with the Waterworks Ketchum Release tool. The regular tool works down to size 18 and the Midge tool 18 and below.

No need to remove your gloves.

Frank

Waterworks Ketchum Release
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

In the late 80's I lived near Reno, NV and fished Pyramid Lake alot in the winter. Latex gloves with fingerless mitts were the way to go. Have not found a better way.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Just got a pair of sealskins gloves...for it's been rather cold for a while...but it's mild nowso I'll tell you what I think about them when it's cold again
Old 01-09-2011, 11:20 AM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Everyone,

I don't think we should ever handle a fish if we can help it, especially in very cold Winters. Land the fish in a net and remove the fly with the Waterworks Ketchum Release tool. The regular tool works down to size 18 and the Midge tool 18 and below.
No need to remove your gloves.
Frank
Frank I forgot about the Ketchum tool..thanks..
Old 01-09-2011, 01:33 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Just got a pair of sealskins gloves...for it's been rather cold for a while...but it's mild nowso I'll tell you what I think about them when it's cold again
I didn't like them in the cold, I have some under armour liner gloves so that might give some more warmth with the seal skins. They make a seal skin fleece lined glove but it wasn't available when I went to purchase. Very snaggy.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:02 AM

smudger564 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smudger564

Hi All, Iv'e received some 2mm Neoprene Gloves, called Titanium Rogue from NRS Web in the US. These are very good and waterproof too. They have a tight wrist fitting which is a splash guard and have palm grips.

Taped seams and are full fingered. I used these on Monday at a very blustery Ellerdine Lakes in Shropshire, where there is still ice on the water. I managed to catch four fish, so they don't hinder your fishing, but they do keep your hands warm, which is what we want.

Just thought you should know.

Best regards

Stuart
Old 01-18-2011, 02:48 AM

smudger564 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smudger564

Hi All, I gave the Rogue Gloves another run today. Though the air temperature is up, the water is still cold.

I deliberately dunked these gloves, just to see if they leaked during and after immersion. Nothing, not a sniff.

These gloves are very well constructed, which is evident by their performance today. Taped seams, giving the user total confidence with no compromise. Plus the tight fitting splash cuff, gives a snug fit, even under a jacket.

Can't wait to take these out again.

Best regards

Stuart
Old 01-23-2011, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Tested my gloves yesterday...the ones with merino wool lining...a bit disappointedit was the first time I fished with gloves I didn't feel at easeit was as if I was playing the piano with big mitts onand my hands were not really warm
Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

My 3mm Hendersons started leaking enough I quit using them. Taking them on and off stretching them eventually caused the sealed seams to leak. I bought a pair of full fingered Glacier gloves from Bass pro with fleece lining. they're okay. I liked the fit of the Hendersons but am going to try a different brand on the next set of gloves. 3mm gloves I can use, anything bigger isn't good. I know this because I bought a set of 5mm Hendersons, not good for fly fishing but very warm in cold weather.