The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 AM

bigriver444 is on a distinguished road
Default Help me pick a line...

Every summer in Maine I fish with an older fellow who takes me to the most beautiful remote mountain ponds. He's given me some of my best memories. Now, he spent the past year battling lymphoma & leukemia, and he's about to go home to Northern Maine. In honor of his victorious return, I just bought him a 3 weight Albright A-5 (7'6") and a Ross Rhythm 0 (1-3). If I did it right, it should make the brookies seem like monsters.

Now, he's used to a big o'l stick he made himself years ago, so I'm really nervous about this setup - in particular, giving him a line that's too light for any wind. Am I crazy? Any suggestions for weight? 2? 3? Even a 4? All thoughts much appreciated.

Drew
Old 02-23-2009, 09:47 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Help me pick a line...

what a great thing to do for him. My 7'6" Orvis superfine 3WT does great on WF3 Trout wonderline. There are probably even better choices too.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

For a 3wt I'd go with SA's Mastery Trout if you're after a WFF. For a DT, I would go with Rio's Selective Trout line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bigriver,

You have made my morning with your generosity. Your friend will be thrilled. The unexpected gift is the most appreciated.

If I was doing this I would give him the same type of line that he has been using. Especially if he is using a DT. I have not cast the A5 3wt but I don't think you would want to under line it. The best approach would be to cast the new rod yourself and see if you are happy with a 3wt line. I don't think I would over line it a full line size If you feel that the 3wt line is not quite good enough then try a 1/2 wt over line like the SA GPX or the RIO Grand.

Frank
Old 02-23-2009, 12:53 PM

You guys are the best! I'm not going to overweight it - it would defeat the purpose of this little rod anyway. I'm going with the Rio Selective Trout, and I never would have known about it without this forum.

Best regards,

Drew
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 PM

Dr. Gonzo is on a distinguished road

You might want to look at Wulff Triangle Taper - a lot of guys I know swear by it for delicate dry fly presentations. It also roll casts very nicely.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 AM

Thanks - already ordered the Rio, but I'll definitely check out the Wulf for myself.

Drew
Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi bigriver444.
Your fishing companion will be happy with your gift,even though it will be lighter than his outfit you will find he will use it & get used to it,because anyone who has cast one of those "poles" knows,that modern lighter rods are better to fish with.
liphooked
Old 04-03-2009, 11:38 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

If you decide to go with a 2 wt, Sierra Traders have Orvis 1 and 2 wt lines on sale for $9.99.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

For a rod of 3w size, Rio Trout Select II for small streams is good.
Or you can get
Sharkskin!