The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cut Throat Trout Pics

Cpiercem: Interesting information, thanks! Wyoming seems to differentiate between the Snake River Cutthroat and the Yellowston Cutthroat, see their Cut Slam program:
Wyoming Game and Fish - Cutt-Slam Program - 59

Larry

Old 09-01-2011, 01:34 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

There are definitely differing opinions on the subspecies YTC and SRFSCT. I found this article (written by guy right here where I live) on the small world internet, quote:

"The relation of Yellowstone cutthroat trout to Snake River fine-spotted cutthroat trout O. c. spp. is problematic. Early genetic analyses could not distinguish these subspecies (Loudenslager and Kitchin 1979; Leary et al. 1987), but recent attempts have been more successful (Kruse 1995). Behnke (1992) contended that the Snake River fine-spotted cutthroat trout constituted a separate subspecies as a consequence of its distinctive appearance´┐Żunsurprisingly, caused by an abundance of ground-pepper-sized spots´┐Żand its novel life history involving extensive movement among spring streams, small tributaries, and large rivers in a geologically young basin (Kiefling 1978). Regardless, it has never been formally recognized and is often considered synonymous with Yellowstone cutthroat trout (e.g., for purposes of federal listing; Dufek et al. 1999)."

Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout

I have the book by Behnke at home, I'll try to read that section tonight.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:26 PM

cpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nice

I agree with all of you and think of them as a seperate subspecies, but what I was saying is that for the purposes of federal listing etc they are considered Yellowstone Cutthroat also, so it is ok to call them YCT. Some of the buggers are really hard to decide what they are. I only know because of where I am fishing and what is native there.

Good for Wyoming for separating them out as a separate subspecies. The danger with doing that Federally is that they might be classed as threatened or endangered since they occupy only one area. So it may be good in that respect that they share the limelight with the other YCT.

Where they occupy many of the same streams together with the large spotted they must be heavily mixed genetically. The size of the spots is really variable. The two pictures I first posted show the two extremes of spot size, from very small to the large. And those were actually caught one after the other in the same spot, which I thought was interesting.

I have caught fish with spot sizes everywhere in between, so I imagine that unless the fish was either very fine spotted or had prominent large spots it would be hard to classify some of them. Maybe that is why they bunch them together, or maybe it is because they share so much of the same water together that their DNA must really be a "cousinly" mix! Anyway ....someone somewhere in government circles must have thrown in the towel and said "Oh what the heck! They all are in the Yellowstone area and I give up . Label them YCT!"
Old 09-02-2011, 09:39 AM

vanish will become famous soon enough

Heh ... ALL the cutthroats are one species! We're talking about whether or not they are different subspecies.

We've had this issue in CO with Greenbacks.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 PM

dusty h is on a distinguished road

Hit up Strawberry yesterday on the toon' and had this thread in mind specifically so i took up the camera to snap a few pics. Absolutely fantastic day with a bunch of nice cuts and a lot of rainbow, had the camera out to get a few shots only to have my butter fingers step in and now the camera is somewhere at the bottom of mud creek.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:36 PM

cpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nice

That is really a bummer! I use a lanyard around my neck, as I am always a butterfingered klutz, especially if fish are involved.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:41 AM

dusty h is on a distinguished road

yeah should have used a lanyard but nothing i can do now. 19 bows and 9 cuts made me feel a little better though.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Nice Totals Dusty and I can almost see them. Strawberry has been pumping out some nice trout lately. Give us a shout next trip. would love to hook up.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:19 PM

lukewl will become famous soon enoughlukewl will become famous soon enough

Some Cutbows from the North Platte a few weeks ago.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Some cutts of the westslope variety. Caught this past summer (late July) at a secret location up in the mountains. All fish caught on my beloved 0wt SPL using a size twelve fly that mimicked the guy on my finger in the first shot.

Pics removed by Sasha

Last edited by Sasha; 02-04-2012 at 10:28 PM.