The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree230Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cut Throat Trout Pics

Here are some of my 2010:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:39 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang old king View Post
Need to tell the Story behind that big feller Yhat.. "Lock Jaw" Lake
If you dont I will..
Git your "puter" fixed?
I think I posted the vid you took of that day here before, but here it is again for those who may have missed it. Warning: there are a couple of expletives in the dialog.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:00 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta love those cuttys! We live in the middle of prime cutthroat waters and we target them often. I have included mostly pics from this past year, with a few from previous years thrown in because they were so good.

Hope you like. This will be a multi-part post, since we have so many to show. You wouldn't believe how many pics we have of trout, these represent my favorites.

...more to come.

Kelly.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
I think I posted the vid you took of that day here before, but here it is again for those who may have missed it. Warning: there are a couple of expletives in the dialog.
YouTube - Lock Jaw Lake
Cheese and Crackers is right! That is a beautiful cutthroat, guys!

I think one of the reasons I stopped photographing fish is due to watching fish be photographed in videos. I do not mean to criticize you personally, you kept the fish in the water while photographing it the first time, and dipped it back in once, but really, just dipping a fish into shallow, still water for a couple seconds after holding it out of the water for 20 seconds is not helping the fish at all.

No one really knows how long it takes for gills to be damaged out of the water. I have read different things. I like to stay better safe than sorry and get a fish submerged in water within 15-20 seconds. Also, just because a fish darts away when you let go does not mean that damage has not been done to the gills.

I hope I'm not being preachy here, it is not my intent. We are all fishers here and passionate about our quarry. Sometimes we need to be reminded that the picture is not always worth it. Please remember to handle these big, beautiful fish with their best interest in mind.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:42 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Cheese and Crackers is right! That is a beautiful cutthroat, guys!

I think one of the reasons I stopped photographing fish is due to watching fish be photographed in videos. I do not mean to criticize you personally, you kept the fish in the water while photographing it the first time, and dipped it back in once, but really, just dipping a fish into shallow, still water for a couple seconds after holding it out of the water for 20 seconds is not helping the fish at all.

No one really knows how long it takes for gills to be damaged out of the water. I have read different things. I like to stay better safe than sorry and get a fish submerged in water within 15-20 seconds. Also, just because a fish darts away when you let go does not mean that damage has not been done to the gills.

I hope I'm not being preachy here, it is not my intent. We are all fishers here and passionate about our quarry. Sometimes we need to be reminded that the picture is not always worth it. Please remember to handle these big, beautiful fish with their best interest in mind.
Dean we share the same respect for our finned Friends that's for sure!
That fish took off like a Dart..unharmed and happy to be alive
Yat and myself always practice CPR on every fish caught..The resource is limited.
We climbed to 12k in elevation and dropped down into the caldera to catch this fish and a few of its cousins..
It is a popular destination and I don't want to miss out on a good tug next time..So this guy was put back with love and care.
I dig your commitment too Protecting the resource,, BULLY BULLY TOO you sir.
Haloed be thy name... Thy Kingdom Come TroutFishermans will be done..on streams as it is in rivers..

Oh Yeah.. Don't forget to put your toys back when your done playing with them!
Steve
Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

First cut i ever caught, Greenback out of Dream Lake in CO. What a fun trip that was, I hope to repeat it soon

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

A few from Southwest Montana!

Getting there on Hay Burners!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:07 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Most excellent pics everyone! Biggie, that last one is a true beastie

Here are some more from our past season:

...more to come

Kelly.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:25 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

This trout is absolutely beautiful
Real shame we dont have it here
First time I saw it on Marty Stauffer TV-show(my favorite show) when i was kid and if i remember correctly it was about Yellowstone lake and one big river there...
Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 AM

As I mentioned earlier in my postings, we had a great year targeting cutties. We live in the middle of prime cutthroat country and they abound. We are currently striving to improve habitat and raise the numbers of cuts in the South Fork of the Snake River, with a perceived danger of overpopulation by rainbow trout, thus reducing the numbers of cutthroat trout and eventually leading to their being listed as endangered. The club I belong to, the Snake River Cutthroats, is a Trout Unlimited sanctioned club and efforts have been underway for years to improve this fishery, something I'm proud to be a part of.

"Nuff said, here are the rest of my cutthroat pics...

A prime Snake River cutthroat trout:

I know I featured this photo in one of my above posts, but it truly was our pic of the year, so I'll share it once again to end my postings on this thread:

Thanks for letting me share.

Tight lines, everyone.

Kelly.