The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree230Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cut Throat Trout Pics

OK...no more lurking, it took seeing a few familiar faces for me to hit the keyboard ...beautiful pics by all...the best I can come up with is a hoss cutbow from last fall...wish I had some cutty pics from elk creek in our old front pasture...but dont, they were all little and starving, but super fun to catch on the 7 1/2 ft 4 wt......this is a N. Forker that liked big bugs...I think about a 22"er

Click the image to open in full size.

send me a note DOK & Yat when you got something going...seems like my life is a "tale of two forks"..moving from the N Fork of the South Platte to the North Fork of the Shenandoah...no Denver water board here...but the fish arent as big either...I have been scouting some other waters in West Virginia on the Potomac...water reminds me a lot of cheesman canyon...maybe just 40 million years older...LOL...its called smoke hole near Petersburg...wild brookies& browns, stocker 'bows...caught a few brookies before Thanksgiving...then got just a bit too cold for me...funny thing...same bugs do well here...fez tails,baetis,johns...and even the big golden stones???

Cheesman ( S Platte )...@ dinosaur eggs, early summer

and the Potomac near Smoke Hole( near Petersburg WV)...day before deer season opened up in November...

super clean water's...some really deep pools with some difficult drifts...should be awesome!

will give full report as soon as it fishes well...maybe march...one thing that is pretty cool here...virtually no run off issues...so some early spring angling is in order for sure...

all the best ...also nice seeing some stuff from you all...CN,DOK & Yat...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 01-03-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

TED!!!!
It's like old home week here. Glad to see you've finally started posting here. Your posts have always been some amazing reading and pics.
I think you will find some people here on this forum that live in your new neck of the woods who can help you find some prime fishing waters. Don't be bashful, I know you're not, post some questions and observations of your new home waters. I think you'll find like minded people here that live near you.
BTW I've caught some monsters in the hole in your second pic of Cheesman Canyon.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 AM

coloradonative is on a distinguished road

Teddy it's good to see you on the web again. Looks like the move has done you well. Yat, DOK, and Vanish only 5 or so more months until we can hit the high country!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:33 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

great to be here...winetrs here are def a bit shorter...probably by two months...even have a place here that has a device on the wall that you turn and it makes it warm...imagine that...no firewood...what will they think of next...a person cold get spoiled real quick !

there are some good fishin' spots here...even a few nice C&R with trophy's...also some keen spring streams...could be a reason to start pitching dries again...LOL...although the Colorado dropper rigs have already proven very effective here...

one thing though...it might be a while before I need that big net of mine here...I will bring out the smaller model ...but hope to get into some where the "big boy"s necc !

I dug a few out of the archives ...the faceless fly fisherman( AKA DOK)...and Bob , both w/ a N Fork beauties...

20"+ public water critters...

and I will take you up on that advice Bob...any idea on thread locations??its a pretty big forum...again...awesome to hear from you all again...looking forward as well CN to seeing some up high shenanigans...

all the best...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 01-04-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:11 AM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Wow Teddy,I forgot bout those fellers..Great to see you..
Sorry for the Delay I've been laid up with a bum ankle for a week..Missed work Missed two fishing trips..writhing in pain..Felt awful..Stupid Doogie Houser Dr. of mine took one look at it and said Gout.. I told him not so much and lo and behold blood work came back neg for the fat mans disease..
I been heating and chilling it for the better part of a week and swelling finally went down and was able to get out for a few. Went to the FFS with Yat and the Boys..
Got a bunch of swag and had a great time! Not like last year with that Giant tool of a man Van R.. and it wasn't the ISE just the fly guy stuff so a bit more intimate and laid back cheaper beer too.

Lots of good demos and seminars except when Politics were brought up had to walk out of one seminar on fishing Wyoming..dude just chapped my ass no need for that in fly fishing ..who cares what you think about the gubment right ? Nothing matters on the water anyway ceptin what fly you gonna use..LOL I digress..Keep them Photos coming buddy and find the Piggys in the Shenandoah
Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You guys sure are posting some beautiful Cutthroat photos, keep them coming!

DOK: Sorry to hear about the bum ankle! I've twisted mine a few times over the years and it sure can hurt! Hope you get better soon!

Larry

Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Not wanting to be left out, I colored up this for you.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mojo: Cool looking Cutthroat and photoshop technique! I snagged the how to on Catch Magazine but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Larry

Old 01-09-2011, 06:15 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Thanks Larry, I did that on my iPad and a free app. Middle aged fingerpainting.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Thanks Larry, I did that on my iPad and a free app. Middle aged fingerpainting.
Mojo: Wow! Now I'm really impressed. My wife has an iPad, but the only thing I have done on it is email, surf the web and load photos.

Larry