The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree244Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 01:52 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cut Throat Trout Pics

I had some great cutthroat fishing last weekend. Not huge fish by any means, but a lot of 12-14" fish taking streamers and then dries. A couple of them were bigger.

I had lost my net earlier (dumb) and did not get to snap pics of a couple of the bigger fish. I caught one cuttbow that was a fat fish, she slipped out of my grip while I was reaching for my camera, I could barely get my hand around her.

It doesn't get any better than wading a small stream and catching wild fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

One great hole after another...

And lots of cuttbows here too, this is a smaller one but still such a great trout.

Last edited by dean_mt; 08-04-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Very nice fish!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Nice cuttys DMT, looks like flows are about perfect now. milt.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:19 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice fish but sorry about the net. I'm up +1 in the landing net dept, having found one in the saltwater estuary I wade. It appeared it had been dropped from a boat and sank to the bottom, where I felt it when I stepped on it with my boot. However, when I was younger I lost my dad's brand-new cast net after throwing a cast and getting it stuck on a submerged rock covered in barnacles. Still feel bad about that one.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

The net thing is so dumb...I am still mad at myself. It's the second one I've lost because I let go of it to revive and release a fish and then forgot about it. When I realized it, down and across stream reaching back for it to land a nice fish, I knew it was too late. I went back to the spot and it had floated away. The problem is I was fishing out of my waist pack and just stick it between the pack and my back and do not use the cord and magnent...that I own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Nice cuttys DMT, looks like flows are about perfect now. milt.
Milt, the flows are perfect, like early July in a standard year. Plenty of water but still wade-able. And the fish are feeding like mad! It's good stuff right now in W MT.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 AM

vanish will become famous soon enough

Old 08-08-2011, 01:18 PM

That's a real beaut, vanish! Looks like full autumn colors, did you catch her recently?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:44 PM

vanish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
That's a real beaut, vanish! Looks like full autumn colors, did you catch her recently?
Caught on July 30th. Now I have to ask a question here because one of us is confused! You said "autumn colors" but from what I know cutts spawn in the "spring" (which is essentially now in our alpine lakes, especially this year).
Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
Caught on July 30th. Now I have to ask a question here because one of us is confused! You said "autumn colors" but from what I know cutts spawn in the "spring" (which is essentially now in our alpine lakes, especially this year).
You're right, spawning brings out the colors! In Montana you can't fish the small streams until the end of May and then they usually are blown out...so I've never caught spawning Cutthroats. I have experienced those deep orange/reds in fall cuttys, though.

So there you have it. I am the confusing one!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:55 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Great pic Vanish. That's a beautiful cutty.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/