The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cut Throat Trout Pics

I guess I don't know the distinctive difference between a Yellowstone and Westslope cutt. All I know is that there are only Westslopes where I fish and that looks like one to me.

Maybe someone else will come along and educate us, till then, nice fishes!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

To me, the difference between those fish seems to be the relative shading of their flanks, with one having more of a silvery look as compared to the other's more yellowish. This seems to open up quite the can of worms. And to think I was originally wondering how to tell the differnce between sauger and walleye, now I have to start worrying about regional trout variation? I thought I was working on ONE PhD already. Hahaha

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-22-2011, 10:18 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
To me, the difference between those fish seems to be the relative shading of their flanks, with one having more of a silvery look as compared to the other's more yellowish. This seems to open up quite the can of worms. And to think I was originally wondering how to tell the differnce between sauger and walleye, now I have to start worrying about regional trout variation? I thought I was working on ONE PhD already. Hahaha
Gator - those are two different species of cutthroats, notice the fine spotting that goes all the way up the body on the last couple vs. the large spots that concentrate neat the tail and diminish near further up the torso on the one noted. The fine spots are Snake River Fine Spot cutthroats. The other is either a Yellowstone or a Westslope...those are the two that I cannot determine the difference.

I have a bachelors degree....In Art!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:08 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

AHHH, ok I see. I'll have plenty of time to learn these things before I'll get the chance to make the trek out west

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-23-2011, 04:46 PM

vanish will become famous soon enough

And those red ones with the big spots I linked are Greenback Cutts
Old 08-27-2011, 08:57 PM

mvalbano is on a distinguished road

beautiful pics.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 AM

flymark is on a distinguished road

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

On the question of Yellowstone Cutthroats and Snake River Fine Spotted ... they are considered the same species. The large spotted and fine coexist in many streams and are all labeled as YCT in the eyes of powers that be.

I have caught many of both in the same stream and even in the same hole on the same day. Some places that have never been stocked.

Any way you look at it they are beautiful fish, and I sure do love cutts of all species. So here's one looking back at you!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 AM

The spots on that first fish are ultra fine! Nice fish all around too!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the info and the map, cpiercem. I did not know that YCT and Snake River fine spots were considered the same species. I am not a scientist so I don't know what it takes to determine these things. I just seems odd that there is only the one place - the Snake River drainage - that holds only the fine spotted variety, yet they are considered the same as the fish in other drainages that hold only the large spotted variety, i.e. the Yellowstone.

At any rate, the are beauties, the last one is a monster! What a great fish. And they are both different from the Westslope CT that we have in this part of Montana.