The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 PM

mcA896 is on a distinguished road
Default A cheap troutfit?

Hey guys, I've been into saltwater flyfishing for about a year now, and I've gotten into a bit of trout fishing over the past few months due to being away at school, a few hundred miles from the saltwater but mere miles away from a few trout streams/rivers. I've caught a rainbow and a couple small browns but those have been purely by luck/chance and never skill.

I've been using my old Bass Pro 8 wt. Dogwood Canyon outfit for the trout thus far, and it has worked mediocre, but it is a bit cumbersome especially after trying my friend's Sage rod w/ Abel reel. Now, I don't have that kind of money to spend on an outfit, so I'm weighing two options that are a little more budget-minded. I'm not looking for something to compare with my salt outfit (not the Bass Pro 8 wt., but my better combo) just something to pass the time between classes.

Option 1: Bass Pro Hobbs Creek 6 wt. outfit w/ disc drag reel, WF floating line, leader, and backing. I'll be going for a 4 piece because I got a really nice Orvis Safe Passage case for christmas that needs filling. I like the 8 wt. Bass Pro outfit, and even the drag on the reel has held up to salt thus far, although the knob did break off I added a new knob from the hardware store to allow more drag pressure. The 8 wt. is a little soft for my tastes, but it is manageable. Does anyone have any experience with this Hobbs Creek outfit? It looks to be a step up in both rod and reel quality from the DC.

White River Fly Shop Hobbs Creek Fly Outfits

Option 2: Cabela's Three Forks rod and Pflueger Medalist 1494 reel. The rod has gotten great reviews on the Cabela's website and Medalist reels are time-tested tough and cheap. I would be purchasing my own line, a WF 6 wt. floater, and I already have backing and make my own leaders.

Rod:
Cabela's Three Forks Fly Rods

Reel:
Cabela's -- Pflueger® 1400 and 1500 Series Medalist Fly Reels

Am I comparing apples to apples here or is one outfit better than the other? I would be spending damn close to the same amount of money for either option, but which one will hold up to 'abuse' (abuse being a relative term)? I plan on hiking and submerging and tossing the rod as necessary (I.E., I've had to throw my rod up an icy slope because I couldn't walk up with it in hand, and if I were to slip off it's a 13' drop into the river).

Help a student on a BUDGET make the right choice here!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 AM

Tim is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: A cheap troutfit?

Your option two sounds good to me. That would be a nice little trout rod. They fight a lot harder on light tackle. God luck!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cheap troutfit?

Hmm. It seems that there is a 3 forks/Pfleuger combo outfit on sale for 75, including fly line and backing, which seems cheaper than buying the rod and reel separately.

So you may want to go with the outfit and just try the line it comes with.

If you're sure you want to buy a new line too, that will run at least 30 bucks and more likely a bit higher, if the point is to get a better line than typically included in packaged outfits.

If that's the case, depending on what line you buy, it might come close to the price of a Redington Crosswater outfit (130 normal retail for a 4 piece rod, reel, line backing and leader), in which case I might be tempted to go with that. (The same company that owns Sage owns Redington and Rio).

Bottom line though, is anyway you go, you're going to end up with a decent outfit, and you'll have a blast. With it, your objective in life should be smoking your buddy with the Sage/Abel every chance you get. You may have to skip a few classes to practice...

Mark
Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I would get a 5wt. I'd also look into a new cheaper rod ECHO is coming out with. Those guys make great stuff. Troutlet.com will have lots of selections of very cheap reels and lines.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Hmm. It seems that there is a 3 forks/Pfleuger combo outfit on sale for 75, including fly line and backing, which seems cheaper than buying the rod and reel separately.

So you may want to go with the outfit and just try the line it comes with.

If you're sure you want to buy a new line too, that will run at least 30 bucks and more likely a bit higher, if the point is to get a better line than typically included in packaged outfits.

If that's the case, depending on what line you buy, it might come close to the price of a Redington Crosswater outfit (130 normal retail for a 4 piece rod, reel, line backing and leader), in which case I might be tempted to go with that. (The same company that owns Sage owns Redington and Rio).

Bottom line though, is anyway you go, you're going to end up with a decent outfit, and you'll have a blast. With it, your objective in life should be smoking your buddy with the Sage/Abel every chance you get. You may have to skip a few classes to practice...

Mark
Thanks for all the advice guys! I will try to smoke my buddy and his $800+ combo as often as possible!

I looked at the $75 Cabela's outfit, but it's a 2 peice and I really would like a 4 piece rod. I think I'll be going with the Three Forks rod and Medalist reel purchased seperately so I can get the four piece, and then purchase a good quality line.

My trout fishing is limited to Sept.-May; in the summer I literally only fish the salt and a bit of bass fishing in ponds. It just needs to be good enough so that I can have fun with it, but not have my abilities be completely hindered by a too-large rod outfit.

I looked at the Redington outfits as well, and the rods look nice, but something about a graphite reel tells me to stay away. I feel like I'm too hard on my equipment between dropping it (accidentally) and tossing it (purposefully) for a graphite reel to ever survive a decent amount of time with me.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:04 PM
DaveP63 is on a distinguished road
Re: A cheap troutfit?

FYI, the original three forks combo came with a...Gasp...graphite reel. I've had two going on ten years. I also have a...gasp...graphite reel on my Redington combo. Shhh, don't tell anyone, they'll revoke my card.

Seriously, don't let that shy you away from a good starter combo. You can always upgrade the reel later...
Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Graphite (plastic) reels mostly work just fine. However, leaving them in a car on a hot day is a BAD idea. The heat will soften up the plastic and the tension of the line wound onto the spool can easily deform it to the point of not working at all.

This is a big reason why they sell so much better in Northern Europe than they do here.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 PM

Midwest flyfish kid will become famous soon enough

I am a really big fan of Hobbs Creek reels. I have a $40 and it is amazing but I have also never fished anything else.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 PM

Alright I think I've come to a decision; and it isn't either of the options I originally listed!

The Cabela's Three Forks 9'/5 wt./4 piece rod, Ross Flystart reel, line leader and backing.

Click the image to open in full size.

Cabela's Three Forks/Ross Flystart Fly Combo with Fly Line

It seems to be the best value out of the three. I like Bass Pro but Cabela's is closer in terms of driving distance and I would like to try their offering since it has gotten just as good of reviews. It is also a good deal cheaper than getting just the rod and Medalist reel then purchasing line separately, which leaves me extra cash for gas to the river, or fly tying materials.

I see no reason why this isn't the best option for me.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

my 2 cousins got one each and they are nice rods for the money!!! i got a st johns cabelas discontinued and this one is way better quality and is pretty sharp looking! go for it! seen my cousins hook 28 inch steelhead with um

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.