The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Steelhead Flies: Kilowatt (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/8400-steelhead-flies-kilowatt.html)

doublelung2009 03-15-2009 02:09 PM

Steelhead Flies: Kilowatt

Hey all

Im headed to PA for some steelhead fishing this coming weekend....had a couple questions.

Can anyone tell me how to tie a Kilowatt for steelhead? I ran into someone in a fly shop over the weekend and he was telling me about it....but I can't find any instructions online. Got the materials and all for it, just not sure exactly how to tie it.

Also, have been tying some egg patterns and egg sucking leaches. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Doublelung

tippet 03-15-2009 05:03 PM

Re: Steelhead Flies: Kilowatt

Not sure about that fly but I'd also add some stone and buggers.

sandfly 03-15-2009 06:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
add some maribou flies and bunny flies. here is the killowatt fly

doublelung2009 03-16-2009 05:51 AM

Thanks for the help.

HuronRiverDan 03-18-2009 08:46 AM

DL, tie up some small black bead heads, size 12 & 14's. I just fished Elk on Monday and Tuesday. On Tuesday I fished the size 14 all day with white sucker spawn as a dropper. All but one of my fish came on the bead head. I fished with indicators and took all my fish in pools and small pockets. The stream was loaded with fish.

Scud hook: 12, 14 or 16

Gold bead

Tail: black rabbit guard hair

Body: Black rabbit

Dan

doublelung2009 03-19-2009 09:38 AM

Thanks Dan

I am new to tying, so I dont really know what that fly should look like....you dont happen to have a picture do you? Is it like a black bugger or something?

Thanks a lot

HuronRiverDan 03-20-2009 05:58 AM

DL,
When I get home from work I'll see if I have a pic, if not I'll take one and send it on to you. The pattern I described is a very easy quick tie and can be tied in brown and olive as well. I tied my first version using fibers from a black hen saddle patch, but switched over to the hair. The body is simply a dubbed body wrapped with a taper so that the body is rather robust right behind the bead. I think it's a visual thing with the steelies, it looks like a small stone and they grab it to give it a taste...lol...Are you planning on fishing Elk or Walnut? If you are going to the Elk; stop at Folly's End Campground, they have a nice fly shop there and Jim and Clyde know the stream and what is going on very well.

Dan

HuronRiverDan 03-21-2009 04:58 PM

DL,

Hope you had a good trip...Here's the fly pic...I hope...LOL

Dan