The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 03:09 PM

doublelung2009 is on a distinguished road
Default Steelhead Flies: Kilowatt

Hey all

Im headed to PA for some steelhead fishing this coming weekend....had a couple questions.

Can anyone tell me how to tie a Kilowatt for steelhead? I ran into someone in a fly shop over the weekend and he was telling me about it....but I can't find any instructions online. Got the materials and all for it, just not sure exactly how to tie it.

Also, have been tying some egg patterns and egg sucking leaches. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Doublelung
Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 PM

tippet will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Steelhead Flies: Kilowatt

Not sure about that fly but I'd also add some stone and buggers.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:23 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

add some maribou flies and bunny flies. here is the killowatt fly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kilowatt_003.jpg (43.4 KB, 57 views)
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-16-2009, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

DL, tie up some small black bead heads, size 12 & 14's. I just fished Elk on Monday and Tuesday. On Tuesday I fished the size 14 all day with white sucker spawn as a dropper. All but one of my fish came on the bead head. I fished with indicators and took all my fish in pools and small pockets. The stream was loaded with fish.

Scud hook: 12, 14 or 16

Gold bead

Tail: black rabbit guard hair

Body: Black rabbit

Dan
Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 AM

Thanks Dan

I am new to tying, so I dont really know what that fly should look like....you dont happen to have a picture do you? Is it like a black bugger or something?

Thanks a lot
Old 03-20-2009, 06:58 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Steelhead Flies: Kilowatt

DL,
When I get home from work I'll see if I have a pic, if not I'll take one and send it on to you. The pattern I described is a very easy quick tie and can be tied in brown and olive as well. I tied my first version using fibers from a black hen saddle patch, but switched over to the hair. The body is simply a dubbed body wrapped with a taper so that the body is rather robust right behind the bead. I think it's a visual thing with the steelies, it looks like a small stone and they grab it to give it a taste...lol...Are you planning on fishing Elk or Walnut? If you are going to the Elk; stop at Folly's End Campground, they have a nice fly shop there and Jim and Clyde know the stream and what is going on very well.

Dan
Old 03-21-2009, 05:58 PM

DL,

Hope you had a good trip...Here's the fly pic...I hope...LOL

Dan