The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

View Poll Results: Do you use a net & what type
Yes I use a net 32 33.33%
No net for me 26 27.08%
I use a catch & release net 25 26.04%
I use a deep net. 3 3.13%
My net is a fine mesh 17 17.71%
My net is a coarse mesh 6 6.25%
My net is nylon or cotton mesh 14 14.58%
My net is rubber mesh 13 13.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nets

I use shallow C&R rubberized nets. A short handle for some rivers and a long large for my Pontoon. Wooden nets hand made by Greg Walker and Tropical Lightening Creations.
I also have a small shallow Bamboo net with the handle bent for the hook by William Joseph.
Small creeks and stillwater shore fishing, no net. Larger rivers and float tubing Yes
Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 PM

greenriverflyfisher is on a distinguished road

I am a advocate of the rubberized nets. I feel they do less damage to the fish.
Joni,
Congrats on being invited to the wasatch fly tier expo. That's pretty cool. I won't be able to attend, but it looked like a great list of tiers.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, it is an honor for sure. Sorry you can't make it!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:15 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

No net for me. When I was first starting out I watched a 3M video with Gary Borger where he showed the proper way to land a trout by hand....wet your hand so you don't damage the slime coat and hold them upside down. After trying it out I decided I didn't really need a net. Just another piece of gear that I have to haul around all day long. I can't remember ever losing a fish that I could have landed if only I had a net...but if it happens, I was gonna release him anyway.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:31 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I was in Dick's Sporting goods the other day & they had a rubberized bag , wooden wading size net for $20 --$30. They are a little on the big heavy side but for the $'s saved I'll carry a little larger net.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:42 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
I was in Dick's Sporting goods the other day & they had a rubberized bag , wooden wading size net for $20 --$30. They are a little on the big heavy side but for the $'s saved I'll carry a little larger net.
If you find it to be too heavy (as I did carrying it for wading), you might be able to fit it with one of those new lightweight PVC "ghost" transparent replacement nets that Brolin sells. While they are sold for Brolin's own nets, they will fit a number of other brands. The lightness in nets without any loss in "fish friendliness" was well worth the change-out for me.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:54 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I never use a net for trout fishing- just one more thing to lug around. I'm surprised at the number of trout anglers carrying nets. I'll use a large net in a boat for Northern Pike, etc. Never use one for bass.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I mainly use the net only on larger fish in faster water.I feel that the easier it is to control a trout without horsing him in ( my favorite rod is a 4 wt.) the more chance he has of surviving a release. If it is a smaller fish & I feel I can grab the fly without lifting him out of the water I will but I feel lifting him out of the water & controling him to remove the hook is faster & like I said easier on the fish using the net. He is picked up evenly without that much stress on his organs as he would if he was grabbed around the middle & inverted & squezzed to hold on to him.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road

I use an Orvis Clearwater, large size...for that EVENTUAlLY monster...best thing about it is that it is made in the good ol' USA!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:05 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

No net, fish by old saltwater rules, lift 'em or lose 'em.