The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: what was your first trout like?

Aug/Sep '80 in a high desert, man-made impoundment down in the Owyhees. Borrowed my (future) BIL's ancient, gummed up Zebco baitcaster. I had to pull really hard to get 6 or 8 feet of line off the reel, which I then held in my left hand while I cast a big bobber above a live hopper with the right.
That reservoir was amazing for about 15 years. Shallow, sandy bottom with nothing but rainbows that got fewer but larger as the years went by. The last year it was really good had 18" trout competing to hit Roostertails 'prit near as fast as you could throw them.
When I took my first trout out of there, it was a big hopper year and the one on the end of my line wasn't in the water for a minute before a nice 10 incher hit it. The next, about a foot long, was on just a few minutes later.
Two was a meal and I was done fishing. I have a photo of them on the plate. They were de-lish. And they got me fired up for fishing.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

1966 was the water shed year (so to speak). I was about nine and on a visit to an uncle's who "really fished" (fished with a fly) in CO. The first trout was on the Roaring Fork river.
Honestly the first memory is a little fuzzy. A cute rainbow came to hand at about 10".
The second fish, although a clearer memory, we never saw. He hit the throttle, made a move to the fast water,and was gone. Ruined me........ been after that fish, or one like it alllll my life.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 01-25-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

First trout, wow, not sure i remember the very first trout, but I do remember fishing at 6 years old with my cousin at his grandpas (aunts husbands dad) farm pond, we were tossing salmon eggs and pulling in bluegill left and right.

I was hooked on fishing at that point, my dad was in the navy and we travelled a lot, but I mostly grew up in San Diego. Each summer we would venture to Ohio (where my dad was from) packed up in the old station wagon for the 3 or 4 day drive. We visited lots of national parks on the way, but I remember always asking if I could go fishing when we got to Ohio. Not sure how, but dad always seemed to find a half day to take me and my cousin to the pond.

First trout on a fly, I remember like it was yesterday, but it was over 20 years ago. I did a lot of drinking and fishing with spinning gear back then, more drinkging than I should have, and it occasionally got me in a bind. So, one day, I decided I couldn't drink anymore and I decided to use fishing as a way to relax and keep me out of the bars.

I picked up a fly fishing combo, zebco sportfisher GT 6-7 weight, a shakespeare reel (pflueger medalist clone) and some fly line - this combo is hanging on my wall in front of me as I type.

When I bought the fly rod, the guy at the store sold me a couple muddler minnows, and a couple elk hair caddis, I also bought a pair of rubber waders with built in boots. I had spinning gear, and I knew nothing about fly fishing, but I had seen it done on the river a couple times, and for some reason that day, I had a burning need to learn how.

I put the fly line on the rod (no backing - hey I didnt know any better), tied some 4 lb mono to the end of the fly line and I went down to a little bend in the snake river in Idaho where I had fished before with spinning gear. It took me a while but I eventually was able to get enough tension on the line from the current to flip the fly line about 30 feet out in front of me and upstream, I watched the line as it drifted past me and continued down stream, content that I had actually extended the line I had pulled from the reel, when Wham, a 12 inch rainbow took the muddler and my rod bent over like it was a monster (I had never fished a light weight spinning rod so all my experience was with medium weight spinning gear).

I reeled him in with the reel like I would on a spin combo - I didn't know about stripping line back then - and somehow got him into the net. I remember laughing out loud when I saw he wasn't the monster I thought I had caught, but I was hooked just as solidly as that bow. Man, with that big long rod a 12 inch fish felt like a monster!

Typing this up, I know I looked like an amateur in the water that day, and I am glad that there was nobody else on the water to see me, but I am also glad that I decided to take the money I had saved up and by the fly rod and gear. I can see the water, the bend in the river, the current flow, and feel the tug of that river monster on my line even as I type this story. And guess what, there is a smile on my face even now remembering that guy and his first trout on a fly over 20 years ago.

I fly fish a lot now, probably 60 or so days a year, summer, winter, spring, fall, over the last 4 years, I own a few more modern rods and reels, and the old Zebco is relegated to wallhanger status. I will be 52 this year, and I know in my heart, that as long as the man upstairs will let me, I will continue to fly fish. I have days, especially in the winter on the truckee, when I don't bring in a single fish, and that's ok. I am thankful that I am still sober, healthy enough to get on the water, have a loving and understanding wife that doesn't mind me going to the river for a few hours on the weekends, I live 20 minutes to the river, and 35 to a couple diferent lakes.

The good Lord has carried me more than once in my life, and I believe it was him nudging me that day 20 years ago to go get a fly rod. I am glad he did. I have found a calmness through fly fishing I have never known through any other activity. Hopefully, if I play my cards right, some day in the distant future I will get the opportunity to stand before the pearly gates and say thanks for that nudge. You know, maybe, just maybe, he will even be willing to show me a decent spot where the fish are rising, and we can go wet a line together.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but, that's my story,

Dave
Old 01-25-2011, 04:59 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

30yrs ago is a long time!
I remember for sure it was on the Big Horn River just outside of Thermopolis, Wyo.. I can't remember the exact first one. I know it was a Rainbow. I'm sure it was at least 20" since all of them were that I caught in that stretch. I'm sure it was more than a thrill as it always was. Especially using my first fly rod and reel. An LL Bean beginer fly fishing outfit with a fiberglass rod and Martin 60 or 63 reel. And I can be pretty darn sure it was caught on a Hares Ear nymph or a Royal Coachman.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Great Stories, no wonder we are all hooked on this sport.

My story is really one of dedication and persistence. On the Sebola River outside of Gunnison Colorado they had done a little restoration work on the river to protect a small portion of a camp site from erosion. In this area a small bit of the old eddy was still holding water behind a berm of dirt. In this small 10' x 10' area was a fish, all by himself caught with no place to go. I noticed the fish and told everybody about the lonely fish caught in the small pool, and to no surprise they told the 6 year old that it was just his imagination. Early the next morning I set out with a bucket of worms and was focused on the task of proving everybody wrong and catching that fish. A day and a half later, two buckets of worms and a pretty good sunburn I caught my first rainbow by myself. The picture of me and that fist fish, dangling from my line in front of the campfire is still a family favorite.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:14 PM

NorthCountryWood is on a distinguished road

My first trout was a fat little brookie....in 1976. I was 6. It was on the north branch of the Lamoille across the street from the house I grew up in. It's still my favorite stretch of river in the world.

Every spring, my first trout is always a brookie and it's always from that same stretch of river.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

The first one I caught, was bigger than 2lb less than 5lb, it took my offering, hooked itself and with purpose dove to the bottom, and peeled 85' of line off and set up camp in a log jam! I got him out of the logs 3 times before he got off....... that day I learnt alot this was the longest I have ever had a trout on as my approach after this was heaver line, and getting the fish under control faster.

the first one I landed, came at the fly so hard he nearly broke it off when hooked he bolted at my feet, I stripped the slack in as fast as I could but it was just luck the hook was set so good there was no chance he could get off this fish was 19" and a bit under 4lb, you would be hard pressed to see a boy with a bigger smile this was bigger than any my grandfather had ever caught (double the weight) he was very proud too.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

My first ever trout that i can recall was probably 18" or so and i was all of about 8. My dad and some friends of his were going out trolling one morning when we were camped at Prineville Res in central OR. I talked him into taking me and i hooked something. They all thought i was snagged on something but i refused to let them real it in for me. I kept at it and finally got it in. It was a nice trout, biggest one that day.

My first on a fly was during a on the water casting lesson. It was towards the end of the day when the instructor had us out trying everything we had learned up to that point. Everything just came together all of a sudden and I saw a couple rises, then a miss and finally a take and set hook on the next strike. It was just a little thing but i was happy with it. I finally feltlike i wasnt faking it anymore.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

1982 and headed to Glacier to backpack from East to West Glacier. Stopped for the night in a little town called Seeley Lake, Mt, and my bud and I were sitting at a counter munching on cheeseburgers and talking about fishing. The cook walked out of the kitchen, said he overheard our conversation and asked where we were staying, told him tent camping and he gave us directions to a campsite and said he would see us at 5 in the morning.

He was about our age and not being used to that type of generosity we kinda wondered if we were being set up for a bad night time visit. 5 am he rolls in looks at my jeep and says we will take his Pinto so not to scratch my jeep... We head up an old logging road running down saplings in the road, park and walk about a mile to this mountain lake. There is a boat and paddle hidden in the bushes, takes us out and ties his flies and water filled bobbers on our spinning tackle and we start tearing up the cutthroats.

Absolutely the best fishing day of my life and will never be bested. Been back to Seeley many times now and this last summer bought my retirement property there. Have always looked but never found that young man again.

Dave
Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

First trout... tasted great! In fact it was and I think still is the best fish I have ever eaten. Caught him on a living grasshopper up in Canada just outside of Thunder Bay. I was up north with my family at my dad's boss's cabin on a chain of lakes, exactly where I'm not sure. I was 12 and bored one afternoon so I grabbed a cheap pole my dad bought for me. Caught the grasshopper when he jumped on the pole and as I was out of worms thought it would be good. Through it out there and within minutes I had a fish. Fought that evil monster for 5 minutes and then I had him on the dock as my dad's boss had come to get the walleye for diner. He showed me how to clean it and cook it. I was the only one with beautiful brook trout(I think) that night and it was epic

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'