The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 PM

whitewaterflyguy is on a distinguished road
Smile what was your first trout like?

im am new to fly fishing and also this forum so bear with me. what was your very first trout that you caught, how was it?
my first trout was caught in late july this summer, it was out of the manistee river right below hodenpyle dam.
it was about 2 oclock in the afternoon it was about 80 degrees and i figured it was a decent day to fish. i rigged my Shakespeare and reel(which had a level line and no drag) i was using a size 20 BWO and i casted up and across and let the fly drift down to a sunken log which had a slow moving pool behind it. the fly floated perfectly in the eddy and it kinda just sat there, after a couple seconds a nice bow rose up and took it, i set the hook and the fish took off down river jumped out of the water and race upstream after a couple minutes i landed the trout and it was about 12 inches with i think was very good for being my first trout. thanks for reading my first post and i hope you enjoyed it please tell me you first trout stories also
Old 12-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: what was your first trout like?

Welcome to the forum and that's a great start! My first trout came off the hook when I tried to drag it on shore. I got it on my first cast (using a CP Swing spinner) and I was hooked from then on. That was a long time ago and the first one to take a fly was a brook trout in PA. when I was still quite young. That really started something and here I am today writing to you.

Welcome to the group, I hope you become a regular here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-18-2010, 08:34 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum!

Now do you want to hear about my first trout, or my first TROUT, because there is a bit of a difference.

My first trout was pulled out of a deep pull in a local stream that they stock. I swear they stock in that exact pool because all summer long there's at least 100 trout in there of all kinds of sizes, mostly small down to itty-bitty. My first was somewhere in the minuscule range, taken on a GRHE.

My first TROUT, was taken in that same stream, but upstream from the earlier pool. This stream winds it's way into a reservoir, tumbles over the dam and into a pool, and then winds it's way downward. It was in the pool by the dam that I caught this one.

I was fishing a poorly tied black stonefly. I'd cast it across the pool and then strip it back. Cast and strip, cast and strip(the line, I mean.)

On a good day, you can just make out the bottom of the pool, and this day was a pretty good day.

About halfway through the retrieve I saw a flash and I pulled back, setting the hook.

This was my first first-hand experience with the acrobatics a trout can do when hooked, and boy did he put on a show! Jumps, water-walking, the whole deal.

I landed him in a few minutes and he measured at just over 13 inches.

Afterwards I was so excited I was shaking. I tried to cast right afterward and the line pooled at my feet. That's a feeling that I don't think that I will ever forget.

Again, welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing about you many more successes.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-19-2010, 12:55 AM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

First trout ever was a rainbow of about 22" on a lake on pender island BC. I didnt fly fish back then and it was caught on marshmellow and corn (12 Years ago?) First fish ever on a fly was a 16" rainbow out of muir lake, AB on Brown woolly bugger.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Mine was in June 09. That was the first on my fly rod. Caught 3 on an Olive Wooley Bugger.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a kid, my father and maternal grandfather belonged to a trout club. It was bonding opportunity for them, I think. My grandfather fly fished, but didn't drive and my father had a car and wanted to learn to fish.
On the rare times when they took me along, T.P. (my grandfather) would usually watch me while my father went off to fish, but sometimes I got to wander off by myself.
This time I was doing what boys do, when I spotted a trout feeding in a riffle. I was using a 9'cane fly rod with a chunk of nightcrawler and somehow managed to drop the bait in place. Fish on.
That was in 1962 when I was 6 and I'm afraid that's all I remember. But that part of the experience I'll never forget.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:13 AM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Hum 1st trout huh..
I ate it at the Jefferson 444 Dinner Club when I was 6 years old..
My 1st trout on the fly..wow that was forever ago..I wish I would have taken a picture of it..But I do remember..I fished the South Platte near Trumble.
I used a Wright Mcgill (Eagle Claw) Black Eagle II and a Pflueger medalist reel.
I settled in a plunge pool behind a giant boulder that was at the tail end of some well oxygenated water. RSII was the fly with an IPW above it heavily weighted with twiston lead and a stick pin strike indicator..
Cast in to the white water let the rig settle in to the eddy behind the boulder and Slama Jama a nice 20" Rainbow. Caught 5 fish that day.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:52 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Welcome to the forum! My first trout on the fly was a little 6" stocker brookie caught on an Adams dry. There was a hatch coming off and my buddy who was teaching me was there behind me giving me words of encouragement. It took 4-5 casts to get the fly where I wanted it and 2-3 drifts to finally set the hook right but finally, success! That day sparked an obsession that has taken several years to really take hold but know has me completely hooked.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 12-19-2010, 10:14 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

Welcome!
My first was a 8" greenback cutthroat caught on a dry. Don't remember what fly exactly as I knew NOTHING about fly fishing then! I do now realize what kind of treat that was!

A good buddy of fine had me practice casting on his lawn the night before and then we headed up a small stream in the Rocky Mountain National Park the next day here in CO. That first hookup was enough to get me hooked and I often go back up there as a sort of pilgrimage...
Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

My first trout was a Brookie caught in a hike in lake up in northern Ontario; taken on a worm. I think I must have been about 14. I took a lot of Brookies when I was going to college, but in those days they went in the frying pan; all were taken on a small stream near where I lived then. Trout season was well appreciated then, it meant I didn't have to eat snowshoe hare every day... My first trout on the fly came from this same creek; I went back to school early in the summer of 74 and had a little free time. Hit the creek way back in where it came out of the cedar swamp and got a beautiful little Brookie on a caddis pattern...I think he was the first one I ever released.

Dan