The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 12:23 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default Laundry List(flies)

I have lost almost all of my flies (stupid fish). I have been hooking a great amount of fish and needed some help restocking. For the great lakes area, mainly Buffalo, could you give me a good list of flies. Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laundry List(flies)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius View Post
I have lost almost all of my flies (stupid fish). I have been hooking a great amount of fish and needed some help restocking. For the great lakes area, mainly Buffalo, could you give me a good list of flies. Thanks
Well..... I'd start with the same ones they were eating if you lost them on fish.

If you're looking for recommendations on other patterns to add, you should tell us what you're chasing.

mark
Old 03-16-2009, 01:58 PM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

Aw, beat me to it, Mark!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:39 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Well..... I'd start with the same ones they were eating if you lost them on fish.

If you're looking for recommendations on other patterns to add, you should tell us what you're chasing.

mark
Steelhead
Old 03-16-2009, 06:38 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

When you replace your flies practice your knot tying or go to a different knot & a heavier tippet.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:49 PM

KngFhearts is on a distinguished road

Are you losing your flies at the knot, or are you breaking off at the tippet?
Old 03-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can cover most of your bases for WNY steelhead with 3 basic types of flies: eggs, nymphs and streamers. Iíd pick out some in each category, mixing it up a bit. You donít need all of the patterns and sizes listed, just pick what catches your eye.

Eggs: glo bugs (orange, pink, apricot/peach, clown size 6 and 8), estaz eggs (pink, orange size 10 and 12), sucker spawn and/or crystal meth (chartreuse, orange, white size 12). These are good choices for cold water, fished on the bottom under an indicator and short line nymphing through runs, slots, pocket water around rocks, current seams and ledges.

Nymphs: black stonefly nymphs in size 10 and 12. This can be a killer pattern. (Add some other nymphs too if you like to fish them green rock worm, hareís ear , prince etc.). Good for cold, clear water when fish are right on the bottom and not moving much. Good for short line nymphing through runs under an indicator. These are great to use in tandem with an egg fly.

Big ugly stuff that pushes a lot of water, Bead Head Buggers (black, black/purple, Olive/gold flash, white size 10), (add Egg Sucking Leeches (black with chartreuse or orange egg size 10) rabbit strip or sculpin type deals (size 6 or 8) or clouser minnows (olive , Chartreuse, rainbow trout colors size 10) for fishing deep pools, high water, and long casts. You can also cover a lot of water with these in long wide runs.

And here are a few that are fun to fish as the water warms up a bit. These are more typically though of a s western steelhead patterns, but they can be very effective in GL tribs too. If you fish bigger water, and as the temps climb into the 40ís the fish will be come more active and more eager to chase down flies. You can swing unweighted flies on a sinktip, and switch to a floater when if gets to 50 degrees. Itís also a good way to fish long wide runs and cover a lot of open water (as opposed to short line style fishing in pocket water). There are a lot of different possibilities as far as patterns, but just to give you some ideas:

Stuff to Swing: speys (General Practioner in black and orange and other spey patterns) , unweighted woolly buggers size 6 or 8, or stuff with lots of marabou (like a Popsicle pattern size 4 or 6), or really big sculpin patterns (olive or brown size 1 or 2. Youíd want some assorted patterns in bright and dark shades and big and small sizes.

Classic hairwings to fish on the swing- some dark (green butt skunk, freight train, purple peril). and bright (polar shrimp, comet. These are traditional steelhead flies and are fun to fish on a swing in fast water if you need to cast long. Smaller size and bright colors for clear water and sunny weather, dark flies for cloudy days in sizes 6 and 8.

I usually use 12-10lb tippet, (15 if there is salmon around) and go to 8 if it's really clear and VERY rarely 6lb. Part of the deal with steelheading (especially with eggs and nymphs) is losing a lot of flies on the bottom, That's where the fish are and you have to be on their nose most times in very cold water. If you are losing a lot of flies on fish, you may want to switch to Maxima.

Hope this helps.

mark
Old 03-18-2009, 10:55 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Flies depend on when and where you're fishing. For early season cold clear water you need to go small, for eggs and nymphs; think 12, 14, and 16's. When fishing under these conditions go with natural colors; olive, black, and browns for nymphs, and muted colors on your egg patterns.

As the water takes on color, go larger and brighter on your colors.

My personal box sees me using a simple stone imitation or a caddis larvae (green rockworm), variations on the hare's ear nymphs. For eggs, I use single eggs as well as sucker spawn, and scrambled eggs. I usually start my egg choice with a size 14 white sucker spawn tied with red thread. Peach is probably my first choice for single eggs.

Dan