The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 06:01 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road
Default Tieing Nymphs

The other day i was tieing some nymphs getting ready for the new season to come.Sometimes you just daydream about how your gonna use your new creations to fool the next bunch of fish.The question here is, how many of you guys and gals think of ways to change a fly s look everytime you sit down and tie.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:12 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tieing Nymphs

If I'm tying for myself or a buddy I will adapt the pattern as I see fit. I'll try longer tails. different colors, Different hooks etc & I'll imagine all the fish I will catch because of the modification......That said,,. I think it's a good idea to tie up some of the original pattern to compare to.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:45 PM
DaveP63 is on a distinguished road

I do all those things, too...Seldom on purpose!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Guilty. I rarely tie even two of the exact same thing.

In fact, I'm even in the process of building a portable tying box so I can only have a few materials at hand and stick to tying plenty of one pattern. Once I finally get it all assembled, it will be pretty slick too. I'll be posting pictures once its finished.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:20 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Guilty. I rarely tie even two of the exact same thing.

In fact, I'm even in the process of building a portable tying box so I can only have a few materials at hand and stick to tying plenty of one pattern. Once I finally get it all assembled, it will be pretty slick too. I'll be posting pictures once its finished.

That's a good idea. Definitely post pictures I need something like that. I try to only pre-stage for one fly pattern at a time but I always end up pulling out some other color or different materials to modify the pattern. I'll end up tying one or two of the original pattern & more than a few modified ones. What happens then is I have more flies than flyboxes & have to figure out which one works & which fly to replace in the flybox....I carry way too many flies & boxes as it is
Old 03-18-2009, 12:41 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Too new to change much except one fly. There are a thousand dubbing and scud back color combos for the Czech Nymph. No two of mine look the same. It is sorta the same tie though.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:33 AM

AlbertaFly is on a distinguished road

Typically, I scroll through my many books of patterns and decide on a fly I want to tie. I rarely will tie it the way it should be... lol
I always change materials, sizes, colors.. beads etc

If I want to stick with generic flies I will buy them for the few dollars a dozen at the fly shop, I mainly tie custom stuff. It works and doesnt... my hottest pattern to date is my bead head caddis puppa.

Experimenting is cool but in all honesty, when it comes to fishing the fly, alterations typically lead to disapointment lmao

But that is the fun in it all, tying new patterns and fishing them! I love tying leech patterns.. and making them funky, brite or as real as they can be.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
That's a good idea. Definitely post pictures I need something like that. I try to only pre-stage for one fly pattern at a time but I always end up pulling out some other color or different materials to modify the pattern. I'll end up tying one or two of the original pattern & more than a few modified ones. What happens then is I have more flies than flyboxes & have to figure out which one works & which fly to replace in the flybox....I carry way too many flies & boxes as it is
The box itself is fairly simple: all 1/2" lumber. Two pieces of ply 10"x12", and the rest cut from 2 36" pieces of 1/2" x 3 1/2" pine. All the gluing and clamping and such will take a while, but I'm going for a Apple-like design: clean and simple and bright, and very purpose oriented.

Come to think of it, I had thought about a light stain, but maybe I'll just paint it white. Ha!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:32 AM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

Allot of times when I sit down to tie, streamers are involved, many of which nobodies ever seen before Even when I do tie a pattern, I usually add somethin' small, like a red band on the head, peacock herl topping, or a red yarn tail.( Mickeys look killer when tied with a red yarn tail, and peacock herl topping) Never have time to test 'em though, time on the waters short enough right now, so I usually don't "waste" time on these patterns.'sides, the bass aren'tbightin' yet
Old 04-18-2009, 07:58 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Guilt as charged Sir...LOL When I sit down to tie I may have a specific pattern in mind; but after a half dozen normals are tied the eternal question kicks in, What If? I do modify a lot of patterns to make my Quick and Dirty patterns. My criteria for Q&D is minimal materials that are fairly easy to tie up. If they don't seem to interest the fish they get a slight re-design.

Dan