The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 08:42 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default caught 2 steelies today

I started late today around 2pm cause I yesterday was ****. I was surprised the steelies were pretty active today! went 2 for 3! all fish were in the tailouts. finally got me steelies on the egg/nymph while drifting. these 2 came on a white crystal meth fly with dropper bead head stonefly. both took the beadhead stone. 3rd bite was on a purple egg sucking leech pattern I tied up but I got 10 seconds of headshakes then lost um.. my buddy also had 4 on but they got off. 2 right at the net!!! they put mine to shame. he fought um for a good 5 minutes prolly and still couldn't get um to the top to get netted!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV32290.JPG (80.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg SNV32292.JPG (63.6 KB, 40 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: caught 2 steelies today

McFly: Nice work on the steelies and great photos! Those steelies are great fighters and are hard to get to the net, but that makes it so much better when your successful.

Larry
Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

thanks! these were not too bad of fights either! have had some fight harder before but these got the rust off me! I should be very happy I finally got some but I am more upset my buddy had 4 on and the 2 he got to the net I couldn't see in the 8 in visability water and he couldn't get um to the top enough for me to net um before they popped off! i hate being responsible for someone elses catches!! I feel I let him down cause I didn't net um in time even tho I kept saying try to lift um up to the top and hes like I only got 6lb test line and I am like lift it anyways and he wouldn't so they just hugged ground and I couldn't get um or see um and everytime i tried to guess where they were and net um i scared um away and they went far away and popped off..

Old 03-18-2009, 12:30 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Congrats McFly. Nice fish. Thought about you yesterday when I bought my first egg yarn. You got it, "McFlyfoam". Plus I remember you posting pics of your blood dot eggs. I'm having a hard time getting them round.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:38 AM

thx again. its starting to heat up down here I think. its about that time as most would say! spawn is coming soon! mcfly foam! haha never realized that until now! thats funny! "mcfly" foam is pretty good stuff. i got a clown package of it.it is way spongier than the glo egg yarn i tied they help make rounder eggs. practice it over and over and if it sucks just cut it off the hook and redo it . you can make hundreds of eggs with a single pack of mcfly foam. don't waste your hooks cause they cost way more.. i stress to use very sharp scissors and once you cut it fluff the yarn arounnd with your fingers then trim if necesary. also look up glo egg or mcfly foam egg on youtube or google. I've seen plenty of tutorials on there that taught me plenty of different flies!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi McFly,

You didn't ask but here are a couple of thoughts. Fighting a Steelhead for 5 minutes is not very long. I wounder if you are trying to net it too soon? Trying to net it when it is not on top is going to lose some fish. I would try fighting the fish a little longer and don't stab at the fish with the net. The fish should be led to the net with the rod. I don't think I would try to net a fish if you can't lift its head a little with the rod.

Frank
Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

McFly, were you on the "V"? I stopped by Mill Hollow on the way home from PA yesterday and it is definitely in need of some more clearing.

On the egg patterns; after you secure your yarn or McFly Foam, pull straight up and snip the material straight across. When the remaining yarn snaps back it will round out. On a side note, get some Fiskars scissors for cutting the foam and yarn; they're cheap and they do a good job. Save your expensive scissors for your finer work.

Dan
Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

GMF,

Nice bright ones! They will be coming now. Is the river one of those that gets muddy in the afternoon if the weather gets warm?

It looks like you are doing good. When I fished the tribs to the lakes I used to go in the early morn to spot the fish then wait till the water clouded up a bit in midday so I could approach a little closer. Ya just remember where a pod of em are hanging out and then drift through the tails or holes when they can't see ya so well.

Go get em dude,

Ard
Old 03-18-2009, 11:47 AM

its the v alright. the v can get very silty and take a week of no rain to clear up. hey frank thanks for the tip. the steelies I fought didn't go on any huge runs yesterday like they usually do so I got them to the net pretty fast. now his on the other hand would never tire out it seemed and he kept losing um. not sure he was putting enough pressure on them to tried them out. when I hook up I am always trying to reel them in if they are not going on a run and they usually tire out after a few runs. his just swam around like he wasn't even hooked in my opinion. i kept telling him to use a lil muscle but he was afraid of his 6lb test line