The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 09:28 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Catch and Release HELP

I do have to say this is a tough one. I do agree that trout and some warmwater species need protected better in alot of places. As far as going to the store to buy fish to eat, for trout I agree, you will actually get a little better eating fish then stockers they put in the rivers. When I hear stockers I am use to AR and MO where they stock most streams as a put & take fishery. Bennette Springs, Roaring river, (MO) The little Red and a couple others in (AR) they stock these places either daily or weekly and thats why they do it so folks can come and fish and eat some of what they catch, for rainbows anyway. In MO they stock some small ponds and lakes with trout in the fall and allow fishing C&R only untill late winter early spring, becuse once the water temp warms up the fish will die off anyway.
Here on the Little Red we have a 5 fish limite with only one trout over 24" and anything between 16" and'24" you cant keep. Now they stock every week with bows but they do not stock with browns or cuts or brookies anymore. Most of the year thats fine, you normaly arent gonna catch a bunch of browns anyway, but in the late fall early winter when the browns spwan you can tear them up and like I said before folks let the bows go and keep 5 browns, I have talked with folks about changeing that. Like makeing a 2 or better yet no brown limite in the spwaning season, it usally falls on on deaf ears.
The two main problems with that is public relations and money, land owners, out of state fishers, and even locals that want to go to the river and catch fish and eat them are going to stop fishing and stop buying trout tags. Most conservation Dep. get most of their revanue from the sale of licenes and tags and they dont have enough to do what they need and want to do to start with so its hard for them to pass rules that will hurt them worse.
On another river north of me folks where really hurting teh brown trout dureing spawn and enough folks hollerd and now you can not fish that river at all for like 2-3 months of the year wich is fine unless I am a guide on that river( iam not) that losses 3 months worth of wages from out of state folks that want a shot at a trophy brown, then you have the ripple affect, if the guide dosent have the money they could have then they dont have the money to spend at the store the fishing shop, the walmart, you get the ideal.
Then if they do make C&R rules you have to worry about folks doing it right, not killing the fish the put back, wich 60 perecnt of more do not know how to do right, and you also have to worry about enforcing those laws, most conservation agents have 2-3 counties they cover.
The one good thing though is that with todays medea coverage and the push for C&R on trout and bass (seem to be the big two) and trophy fish there are alot of folks going to C&R on species of fish they didnt in the past, now if we could get the 75% to start useing a little common sense and doing the right thing to protect our fisheries.
I think as guides and conservation minded fishermen/ladies its up to us as well as the local conservation departments to talk to and teach others about not keeping all the fish you catch and the proper ways to practice C&R. I also keep my local conservation officers cell number as well as the local Sherrifes dept. number in my cell phone, if I see someone breaking game and fish laws or putting others at risk or littering I can just pull out the phone and hit a button.
Bear
Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 AM

jcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
Now they stock every week
This is something I was thinking about. It won't necessarily improve the fishery, but I know that feeling of seeing your water just completely cleaned out. I wonder if, instead of pushing for C&R water, it might make sense as a starting point to push for smaller, but more frequent stockings. That way you don't have that big rush the first week the truck's been by. You might have fewer trout in the water at any one time, but there'd be some there for a longer period.

And for that matter, I think "cleaned out" is kind of an approximation. Plenty of the trout will move or just not be caught. So the stream might not be fishing like it should, but it's probably not empty or useless for fishing, even if it feels that way sometime.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:32 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
This is something I was thinking about. It won't necessarily improve the fishery, but I know that feeling of seeing your water just completely cleaned out. I wonder if, instead of pushing for C&R water, it might make sense as a starting point to push for smaller, but more frequent stockings. That way you don't have that big rush the first week the truck's been by. You might have fewer trout in the water at any one time, but there'd be some there for a longer period.

And for that matter, I think "cleaned out" is kind of an approximation. Plenty of the trout will move or just not be caught. So the stream might not be fishing like it should, but it's probably not empty or useless for fishing, even if it feels that way sometime.
Makes sense to me. And even if not all C&R water, make streatches of it C&R and lower the limit on the rest of the river.
The one thing I keep thinking though is enforcing the rules. A friend and I were talking about this a coupel days ago, he shared with me a story, We have a one fishing pole pre angler on this streatch of the river, he was fishing one day and seen two guys in a boat with three poles out, he said they should becarful, your only supose to have one rod each and one of the guys in the boat laughed and said " hell ya never see an agent around here anyway, I aint worried about it".
Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 PM

boone is on a distinguished road

Bear you're right on with that. There are tons of infractions around here but even if you do call the game warden they hardly ever do anything. Boone, NC and surrounding areas could have some grade A fisheries if they were managed properly.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 PM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough

AMEN to that Boone!!!!! This past weekend two guys from out of town came up to fish the DH here in town. One of them caught a monster Bow. They went by the fly shop in town and told the owner about catching the fish. He asked if they took any pictures of the fish and they said "Pictures no we keep it". The shop was full of people and the owner could not call the warden to report them.

As for another DH I fish all the time is getting hammered by CORN chuckers and they are keeping the fish there as well.

This is what I would love to do to them.

Does any body remember the whoopings we got with switches when we where young. The tip of a fly rod will last a lot longer than one of those switches and hurt a lot more.

Jr

"Catch and Release"
Old 03-24-2009, 09:52 PM

Dotsonnt will become famous soon enoughDotsonnt will become famous soon enough

JR buddy im right there with ya man! Ha i like that idea! Bear your right, it really puzzles me how the local game warden still has a job in these hard times if he doesn't do his job. AND TRUST ME it wouldn't be hard to find someone to write up around here!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:31 PM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough

I have had my fishing licsenes check about 30 time from the first of the year until last week, but the wardens can't catch these poeple fishing with corn and keeping fish.

The last time I was checked I asked the warden
"Don't you know me by now. You ask me who I guide for ever time you have checked me?"

It is good that they are checking licsenes but #!*% catch the people breaking the law, and leave the ones that fish by the law, and the ones they know alone.

Jr

"Catch and Release"
Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Start a rumor that the trout are mercury and PCB tainted . Actually,
I run into a guy at the local put and take lake, and he's always telling everyone that the nearby hospital releases untreated waste water into the
lake. It's not true, but he has a lot of people convinced.

Push for my public awareness through TU chapters, call your state reprentatives, ask for small stretches of certain streams to be designated
FF'ing only, etc. Take small steps at first, and you might have better luck. Be
aware that alot of the trout we see are stocked, and anglers pay for those
trout with licenses. If they aren't allowed to keep their catch, I think you'd
see a severe decline in permits for bait/spin fishermen. The latter outnumber
fly fishermen by a HUGE margin.

Pennsylvania has its share of C&R only trout streams, and also private clubs
(mega-pricey...REAL MEGA-PRICEY!).
Old 03-25-2009, 07:48 AM

What is a DH place?
Bear
Old 03-25-2009, 09:48 AM

DH is delayed harvest waters. It is catch & release but the first saturday of June until the first saturday of Oct. the fish can be harvested by any kind of bait. This is a way to recycle the fish. From June to Oct. the Fish & Wildlife want people to catch the fish and keep them. This is what F&W call a turn around or clean this section of water out and we will stock this section of water again in starting Oct. with fresh fish.

Now from Oct. to June the DH water are catch & release but people think they can use any thing for bait. Not true it is single hook only
(fly,single hook spinner,etc.-- now this does not mean you can use a plastic worm with scent or flavor on a bait hook either. People think this is OK but it's not) This should be changed. It should be fly only and if you have a child under the age of 12 they can use a single hook spinner. From the age of 13 and up should only fish with a fly in the DH waters.

The F&W management are doing studies now to see if fish can reproduce in the sections of DH waters now. If these section can maybe they will change the water to catch & release year round (lets hope and pray for that.)

There are a lot sections of streams and rivers here in North Carolina that are hatchery stock supported for the public to fish with any kind of bait. What you catch you can keep as long as you only keep 7 and the fish is in the size limit that is nothing under 7 inches long. These streams and rivers are cleaned out in a matter of months. There are people that will follow the stock trucks just to catch these fish to keep. I don't mean keep the limit either. People will catch there limit of 7 and take the fish to their cars or trucks and go right back and do it again until they clean the fish out.

I know we have to buy our fishing licsenes and that is fine but for a resident of this state it is $20 for the fishing licsenes. Just because you spend $20 to fish does not give you the right to keep hundreds or thousands of fish.

Jr

"Catch and Release"