The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:46 PM

Dotsonnt will become famous soon enoughDotsonnt will become famous soon enough
Default Catch and Release HELP

Does anyone in the world know how to slow down the harvest of stocked fish in North Carolina. If you do please tell me! I live in Boone, NC and fish the local waters almost daily but that will all come to an end in about a week and a half when NC's lovely harvest season opens up. It kills me that in NC you and catch and harvest fish in nearly every stream in the state. Is there anyway to slow down the people from harvesting so many fish or to get more streams to be catch and realese. After trout harvest season opens almost ever fish in the state will be on someones stringer and on the table the next night. Does anyone know how we as Catch and Release fisherman can get more catch and release waters in the state? We have very few streams that are catch and release right now and those that are, are never regulated. If there is anyway to change this and help our catch and release program in the state please let me know. Thanks, Nate
Old 03-19-2009, 06:18 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Catch and Release HELP

You arent gonna like part of what I have to say, but I'll say it anyway.
All the places that I know of that are non-harvest through the winter then open harvest in the spring do so for a reason, the fish will not have a good chance of liveing through the hotter months anyway. Before you get to worked up check with you F&GC and see if this is the case if so there is nothing to worry about anyway. Second when the state stocks places, at least most states they do so as a PUT & TAKE fishery to start with. I am for C & R in almost every situation but I also belive folks have a right to harvest some fish to eat, if doing so will not hurt the fishery. Now some folks will tell keeping any fish will hurt the fishery do not belive this hype.
Now if the fish you are worried about will make it through the hotter season and it is worth doing, then contact or start a TU chapter in your area, talk to folks about not keeping fish, just becarfull how you approch them and what you say. You will have more luck just saying soemhting like" you know, if you turn that brown trout back he'll be bigger and funner the next time you catch him", if you just start ranting about putting that fish back becuase only an ******* would kill a fish you may get yourself into trouble.
In my home waters I see folks keeping fish every time I fish all year long, and I never have a problem finding a fish to catch and yes eat if I feel like fresh fish for dinner
Bear
Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 PM

I understand the big water areas will get to warm to hold the fish in the summertime but there is no reason some of the small mountain streams cannot be catch and release. I do not have a problem with people harvesting fish, BUT i do have a problem with people keeping 5inch native brookies when the big bows and browns are all gone from the big water streams in this region. All I'm asking for is a little help in preserving our small mountain streams and the native fish we have in this area. I'm not trying to be a jerk and say people should not be able to harvest a fish to eat. Hell i harvest a few stockers myself throughout the season. All im saying is we need to preserve what little population of wild or native fish we have in this region.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Dot,

I feel your pain! I grew up in Pennsylvania and there were plenty of fish hogs there too. Your only and best chance is to find a stream that is not stocked and hopefully one where you don't notice much activity of the human type. No matter where you live there is a hidden gem there.

If and when you find your spot guard it carefully. I used to fish a brook that I was so careful of hiding my presence that I would never park where my truck could be seen from the main road.

Here in AK. I have a spot where I always wear Camouflage and actually hide if any people come walking on the trail. It is small and the general opinion is that it is too small to fish and has only small fish. It flows into the ocean and every spring I catch many large steelhead trout there. I use a very strong 6' 3" custom built 5wt. and a dark grey line so no one will even notice the line flying through the air. So far my best was a 26" fish.

There is a place for you believe me, you just have to take a walk along every piece of water that might harbor a trout. Usually the closer to town the better. Serious fish hogs usually don't look right in their back yards. They go to the places that the guy who sells them their bait, bobbers & stringers tells them is the hot spot.

Good luck & never quit looking for your nitch,

Ard
Old 03-20-2009, 06:35 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Education is the key...On some of the streams as was said in earlier posts; they may intend it to be a Put and Take fishery due to water conditions. On the streams you mentioned with the Native Brookies, you need to educate yourself and others. I say educate yourself, much easier to convince folks of something they don't want to hear if you can give them facts and statistics, rather then emotion; I mean no offense on that statement. If there are no local chapters of TU or FFF, try and get a group of like minded people interested, and don't overlook your local Chamber of Commerce. If the fishing is good it brings tourist dollars to the area. Once you establish a local club, you can begin working on change through your local fisheries biologist; if a change in policy is warranted. Offer your services for any projects the local biologist may be working on, he will appreciate the help to his budget. Lastly, talking to people on the stream about C&R can go a long ways if you use the right approach.

Good Luck,

Dan
Old 03-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to search for a TU chapter in your area:

Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

Both the Dogwood and Land O Sky chapters in NC are very active in brook trout restoration, as well as GSMNP.

Here's a pdf on NC brook trout conservation efforts:
http://www.easternbrooktrout.net/doc...arolina_CS.pdf

Good luck,

mark
Old 03-20-2009, 05:52 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotsonnt View Post
I understand the big water areas will get to warm to hold the fish in the summertime but there is no reason some of the small mountain streams cannot be catch and release. I do not have a problem with people harvesting fish, BUT i do have a problem with people keeping 5inch native brookies when the big bows and browns are all gone from the big water streams in this region. All I'm asking for is a little help in preserving our small mountain streams and the native fish we have in this area. I'm not trying to be a jerk and say people should not be able to harvest a fish to eat. Hell i harvest a few stockers myself throughout the season. All im saying is we need to preserve what little population of wild or native fish we have in this region.
That point I do agree with very much. Like others have said education is key, places like TU are great starting places. Here we have an annual run of spawning brown trout and some are hogs and I do mean HOGS. The river is stocked with bows, has been stocked with cuts, browns, and brookies.
They do not stock browns any more, there is a natural population now with the spawners. I talked with a guy and asked why dont they make C&R rules for the browns when they are spwaing and easy to catch, he said if they did the trout stamp and fishing Lic. sales would drop off and they would loose the revanue, so every OCT-DEC I see folks turn stocker bows back so they can keep 5 browns. They have made a couple sections C & R only, but I see alot of people kill the browns they put back by rough handling, tearing gills, pulling deep hooks out, instead of cutting the line. Years ago this river was known for big bows and ofcourse they had no C&R rules in place now 1-3lb stockers is all ya catch and it wouldnt surprise me if the browns dont head the same way. Keep pestering you conservation agancy and get with the TU chapters and see what you can get done. There are still pleanty of folks out there that want to keep every thing they catch and its hard to change their minds, hopfully you can get a few to start thinking diffrent. good luck
Bear
Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 PM

boone is on a distinguished road

Hey bear (and everyone else) this is josh, we've been in contact a little bit lately, how are you... Nathan (dotsonnt) is the guy that i'm going out west with, i turned him onto the site when i told him about all the help and info i was getting here... You definately understand what he is saying when you posted your second post. In our area we have a TON of rivers and streams. The bigger ones like dotson and some others have mentioned are put and take the other smaller ones are not. They are not big enough to harbor large fish, but still they will be fished out before to long. This is what dotson is addressing. Just thought that i'd clear that up for everyone.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:28 PM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough

Dot I know what you mean. It kills me too that all the rivers here in NC are not catch and release. See someone with fish on a striger kills me. If people want to eat fish they need to go to the store and buy some fish to eat.

I have talk to the Fish and Wildlife guy for this area about getting more delayed harvest and catch & release waters. The main problem is land owners. The land owners think that the government is taking their land to do this. If the land owners would think about it they would understand that the government is not taking their land but it is making better fisheries for themselfs and others.

I have went back to college to get my degree in Fish & Wildlife Management. I am going to try to help get more sections of waters turned to DH and C&R. I have also talked to some land owners about this problem and they have told me they would think about it.

It is not in writting but aleast they are thinking about it.

Jr

"Catch and Release"
Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 PM

Hey guys, thanks so much for all the posts you sent. It really means a lot that there are so many fisherman that are actually trying to conserve our wild fish in our local streams. Anything i can do to protect our wild fish population in the state i will do and if anyone would like to help I"M ALL EARS! ha but again thanks to all and good fishin!
P.S. Good luck JR, we need more people in our state wildlife department like you!