The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 02:12 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Winter foray

I'm keen on chasing some native brookies after the first of the year. I have a question:

I have some breathable waders that I use most of the time. If I layer correctly (underarmor, fleece leggings, etc), would breathable waders be OK or should I look into a pair of neoprene?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:21 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter foray

Layer up and skip the neos. milt.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't stay in the water too long it should be ok...the problem is...the feet,as breathable waders have neoprene stockings and if you've got good ski socks for example it'll be good,don't stay too long at the same place without moving and walk on the bank from time to time
Old 12-22-2010, 03:57 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Aren't neo's cheep now?..heck pick up some cheepos for winter what the heck ... and throw down with all the insulation stuff
go et em..frozen tiger..
LOL
Steve

Last edited by dang old king; 12-23-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:56 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Socks are important, for me anyway. Get some that wick moisture away, no matter how cold it is my feet sweat and then get ice cold.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I fish in my breathables all year...layering with polypro under fleece wading pants keeps me quite comfortable. I wear a pair of sock liners under wool socks...The most important thing you can do to help keep your feet a little warmer is invest in a pair of wading shoes at least one size larger then you normally wear...Leave room for a little toe wiggle room and you will stay comfortable...

Dan
Old 12-23-2010, 02:10 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I have a pair of 5 mil Browning stocking foot neos I bought to duck hunt in. I've only worn them once (the breathables were leaking) since I got my Cabela's GII's.
Polypro from head to toe, fleece layers, wind proof jacket. Heck, I could fit a pair of pac boot liners over my sox and wear my zero zone duck overalls under my waders if I had to. I just never needed that much insulation.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to look at it this way. Water conducts hot and cold more effectively than air (25X more), so while you can stand in 35 degree air temps somewhat comfortably, 35 degree will chill you very quickly. Breathbles will keep your skin from getting wet, but you want to create a thick barrier between your skin and the source of cold: i.e. water. Layers of insulating material will work for a while, but you will eventually get chilled. I can fish in cold water for about 1.5-2 hours with light insulation before I need to remove myself from the water. Getting out of the water frequently will help reduce chilling. I began wading much less after discovering a stream that holds spooky native trout this past September. Getting in the water has become something I do only when necessary now, and I think it's made me a better angler.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 AM

fishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with everyone here,

I wade in breathable waders the middle of winter all the time. The important thing to remember is to stay away from cotton. And like most have said, wear ski socks and poly pro and maybe some wool pants if you really have to. I do make sure that I am not wearing cotton on my upper body, just a liner, poly pro, a wool long arm, and a windproof jacket over everything. Be sure to wear a beanie, and use gloves that allow you to snap back the mitten part to have bare fingers. Toasty warm!

Now if someone could just invent a way to thaw out the loop holes on the end of my rod.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:14 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

I wear my breathable waders in the winter.
Just make sure you layer up, i wear Cloudveil Run Don't Walk Underwear Tights - Power Stretch® (For Women) - Save 35% this.