The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 12:10 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default 3/24 report. sucka!!!!

went again today for steelhead before tomorrows rain just incase it messes the river up. talked to a guy who caught 2 steelies on a black bugger. no steel for me tho. I caught 4 sucker fish. 1 was foul hooked in the fin with a sucker spawn. 2 took a small black "burkes" nymph and the other took a pink crystal meth. who knew suckers were addicted to meth? haha. I used a black nymph cause I actually could see stoneflies landing on the water to lay there eggs. if was pretty cool. the suckers put up a decent fight. just fished the deep holes and got suckers but no steel that day. they are pretty big! a couple pounds for sure and prolly 20 inches or so? here is a few pix of those ugly beasts! lol. tonight I tied up a few original "crystal meth" sucker spawns. I make both the meth(diamond braid) and regular angora yarn versions. the steelies love them both and now come to find out I guess suckers do to? the meth version has lots more sparkle just incase its muddy and the angora has no sparkle but its a great material that makes it look like is has a milty or milky egg effect going on. I have caught fish on pearl, orange and pink meths and a few on the regular angora white. have some chartruese diamond braid coming to make that color also..
to make either of these patterns all you need is a size 10 scud hook, red thread, diamond braid or angora yarn and some pearl krystal flash. heres a pic of the pearl version of the "meth" and also if ya look at the fish pix you can see in 2 of the pix the sucker took the pink version. I did not name this fly so don't message me saying its a bad name for a fly. I have heard that too many times already and I didn't name the thing. thats just what its called.

Click the image to open in full size.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3/24 report. sucka!!!!

McFly: Look on the bright side, its better going to the stream anytime, rather than what I'm doing right now.....sitting looking outside at a snow storm with most of the surrounding roads closed. Nice photos!

Larry
Old 03-26-2009, 04:10 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

I know how that feels man. did that most of the winter. now are river is very low and clear. gonna go again tomorrow. keep ya posted

Old 03-26-2009, 04:49 PM

Coloradokid is on a distinguished road

I bet thing put up a pretty good fight though, beats the skunk anyday!! Good job on getting out!!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Looks like a fun fish to catch. Nice work!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:20 AM

me and one of my friend flytyer from my forum met up and fished again. heres a few more sucker pix cliff! no steelies again but these can get huge!! thought 2nd pic fish was gonna die but I think it recovered ok. . I don't think he should of grabbed it by the gill like that but too late now. hopefully will have some pix of steelhead soon. waters really low so the fish are not running up the river like usual
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV32464.JPG (80.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SNV32472.JPG (81.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1149.jpg (42.2 KB, 21 views)

Old 04-01-2009, 06:07 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Well as of last Friday (3/27) I'm still hitting Steelhead. I found that fishing fast water around gravel was producing good fish. I landed 13 Steelies friday, mostly on small eggs fished on 4X Flouro tippets under a yarn indicator. They were hitting real light. I'm hopping the big run hasn't come yet, because the Western Ohio streams don't have near the numbers of fish they should have. I'm hitting some NW MI streams for three days this weekend. Here's a nice male from 3/21

I was on a west of Cleveland stream the Saturday before and landed 18 in one fast chute. All of those fish came on small white or Charteuse beadheads with a bit of flash under a blackbird float. This is a male for last friday.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

One quick suggestion Mr. McFly. If your hitting Suckers and not seeing Steel try fishing faster water. Suckers don't seem to like faster oxygenated water. And as the water warms the Steelies will either be on gravel or in faster chutes unless they are dropbacks. They pretty much vacate slower water/big holes when the water temps hit about 42.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:19 PM

I will keep a eye out tomorrow for some. the waters been very clear lately and we haven't seen much fish in the shallows this season. keep ya posted. I also hope more fish come up the rivers out west before they all leave for the summer!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 PM

I suspect the western streams are about done until you get some rain. But the next rain should bring in the mother lode. The MI fish I'm chasing this weekend are much tougher, but you have a chance at some real quality fish.