The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default Them stockers

It's official, my dad hooked up one a few days ago and landed it. I have not caught anything, but hooked a BEHEMOTH! We just got the stockings in and I was wonder if a stocker trout will eat a streamer or not?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:09 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Them stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius View Post
It's official, my dad hooked up one a few days ago and landed it. I have not caught anything, but hooked a BEHEMOTH! We just got the stockings in and I was wonder if a stocker trout will eat a streamer or not?
In the hatchery raceways they have to separate them by size or the larger ones will eat the smaller. Go for the streamers..... A black or dark color Wooly Bugger, Micky Finn, any ghost pattern, muddlers are good picks for this time of year.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:11 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Sure they will, I fish mostly stocked waters and catch fish on streamers of all kinds, woolybuggers, Micky Fins, a white one that I actually strated tying for stripers and found in smaller sizes trout love them and a couple other patterns. Keep at it, you'll figure 'em out.
Bear
Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Here is an article about Salmon Hatchery fish that I found interesting. Oregon has been one of the leading states about preserving wild stocks of Salmon and Steelhead.

Frank
Old 04-03-2009, 11:51 AM

boone is on a distinguished road

stocked fish, expecially freshly stocked fish will hit streamers with out pause. You need to "match the hatch" with fish that have been there for a while but for freshly stocked fish throw the biggest brightest streamer you have and you will catch the biggest fish in the run. I just started tying a fly that i named the boone special just for fishing stockers. If i take people out i want them to catch a lot of fish. The fly is super simple. just put lead on a hook shank then tie in a zonker strip of rabbit fur at the bottom, wrap thread back up towards the eye, palmer the rabbit fur so that it covers the entire hook, tie off. it looks super bushy but in the water its awesome. sometimes i add little things like flash and stuff.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:34 PM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough

Hey Boone,

The boone special fly you are tying is called a bunny leech. They are a great fly for those big fish. I tie them and use them in high water. I strip them in using short 3 to 6 inch strips. The strikes can take the rod right out of your hand.

Jr

"Catch and Release"
Old 04-05-2009, 07:14 PM

boone is on a distinguished road

Well thats cool, but DANG i thought i had invented something. Its ok though i'll just tell people that the bunny leech is a knock off of mine

Thanks for the info.

Hows the fishing in your neck of the woods midges?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:59 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Morph, where are you hitting your stockers, the Upper Huron at Proud Lake? Doesn't matter; fresh stockers will definitely hit streamers...If they don't want streamers tye up a trout chow fly...lol

Dan