The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 07:38 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default 4/2 steelhead report!

went out today since the weather was good and I was rewarded well! I went 5 for 9 not counting 1 foul hooked fish. 1st fish came on a grey/white clouser and all the rest on a single glo egg in oregon chesse. they were addicted to the OC glo eggs! couldn't keep um off it! heres some pix.
Click the image to open in full size.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 PM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4/2 steelhead report!

Nice fish, I see they have a adipose fin and thus are wild? You should really try to not keep wild steelhead out of the water! I would like to see more fish like the second picture rather than the first where the fish is on dry land.

I am curious, do you have sucker fish in the river? They spawn about this time and the steelies can go crazy for their eggs. They are small and yellow, kind o like a corn kernal. I have caught steelies this time of year where when I landed the fish it looked like it had just stuffed its mouth with corn! (tens andtens of sucker eggs). A oregon cheese glo bug is a good fly to use for sucker eggs.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:16 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

Hey Saltflytyer, what is an adipose fin?
Thanks,
Clint
Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

these are all stocked by the state of ohio. no wilds here. yes we have suckers here. I use sucker spawn all the time. these were just single eggs. no worries on that one fish dude. its fine and back to doing what he does best. I always try to keep um wet. that must of flopped up there when I was getting my cam ready

Old 04-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

McFly: Great work, you're getting to be a steelie slayer!

Larry
Old 04-02-2009, 09:40 PM

thanks man! I try my best!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:57 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Great job man, good to see ya had a great day
Bear
Old 04-03-2009, 11:19 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Nice fish. I've got next week off so..............I'll have to brave the lousy weather report and fish anyway. Hopefully the rivers will just rise slowly and not get muddy. Continued good luck.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:31 PM

right now the flow is risi fro 60 cfs to 84 and it still hasn't crested yet. nots not bad tho. if it gets over 250cfs we got a problem! no fishing on my river

Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Most of the states surrounding the Great Lakes clip a pectoral fin...I am hearing that in a lot of cases they have stopped clipping entirely...

Dan