The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 10:01 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default How late will they "run"?

We had a couple of unseasonably warm temps, which brought significant rains and accompanying melt. This pushed some of our rivers up significantly, including one I've been waiting for fish since fall. Some were blown out and now falling nicely. Is it too late in the season to expect new runs from Lake Michigan into the tribs and are we done until Spring... or would this trigger potential movement into the system? The water temp is going to be damn cold with the runoff and melt. And of course, we're back into the teens today. But tomorrow looks like mid to high 20's!

Interested in your thoughts.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How late will they "run"?

Hi Mike,

I no longer live down that way but since you haven't had a hit here I'll tell you what I know about lakes Erie & Ontario rivers and the steelhead runs.

We fished for them through the winter whenever the weather was not prohibitive and found colored up fish along with bright fish who were entering throughout the winter although not en-mass.

In the Erie tribs the fish come hard at the end of February through March if the flows are good. I would go find out if I were you

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-02-2011, 07:44 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Mike, You'll find fish in the ribs all winter; and if you get a melt-off or rain the stronger flows will bring some fresh fish in. With the cold winter temps look for fish to hold in slow deep pools.
Dan
Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Well I decided to hit the river yesterday. Temps were cold but not unbearable. Tried drifting egg patterns trailed by a small nymph for a few hours and didn't manage any steel. The lower portion of the trib is still locked solid with the upper part opening up a bit due to the blast of rain and warm weather. Lots of floating ice and ice cold water temps.

The run was pathetic this year and I'd held out hope there was some new fish movement. I don't think it was the case... regardless it was nice to be out for a walk with the fly rod throwing some flies for a few hours.

Happy New Year all!

Cheers,
Mike.