The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Good Start To The New Year...

My friend Gary called me Monday afternoon and asked if I was interested in hitting Elk Creek in PA. After thinking about it for a great deal of time; I think it was about a half second, I said, "When are we leaving?" We left Gary's house after our other buddy Jim got off work and made the drive over.

When we got geared up it was about 35 degrees, the water had that perfect green tint; and there was no one in site as we headed to the water.

There were'nt a lot of fish, but enough to keep three happy steelheaders entertained...

This was the first one I landed...
Click the image to open in full size.

The weather was an unexpected treat; two weeks ago everything was locked up tight and I was thinking the only fishing I'd be doing was through the ice. Later in the day the wind started picking up, and we started to get some snow, but overall it was a great day.

One of my favorite places on Elk Creek...
Click the image to open in full size.

The weather reports aren't looking good, I think we'll be locked back up soon; glad we were able to get a good day in...

Dan
Old 01-05-2011, 10:16 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2
Default Re: Good Start To The New Year...

It looks like a very adequate winter fix. Let's hope we get a few thaws between now and march to keep me from going nuts.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Very nice, Dan. Congrats!
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Dan
How was the fishing overall? I am thinking of making another trip up if the creeks are open. Fish numbers have been low all year for the most part. I was hoping with the later smows and rain we had that those would increase.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:17 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future

There was enough fish to keep us happy, nothing like you'll see in March and April...

Dan
Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Good start indeed Dan....half a second....are you sure Dan?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice one Dan,

I always enjoy seeing pictures of places I used to fish at down your way. On Elk Creek I will trade low numbers of fish for low numbers of fishermen and day

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Alright Dan! A month without a fish is a tough month.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:05 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice fish dan!

casey

ARFE
Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Nice one Dan,

I always enjoy seeing pictures of places I used to fish at down your way. On Elk Creek I will trade low numbers of fish for low numbers of fishermen and day
Ard, we saw three other fishermen all day, wish Elk was like that more often...

Dan