The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 05:52 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default Thin Water Steelhead

I have a conundrum. There are close to 50 fish in a pool that is very shallow and you cannot cast into them because they are so spooky. The water is in the mid 40's and do not know what to do with them. Any tips would be great.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:50 PM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Thin Water Steelhead

I would try to get in position upstream of the pool, drop my fly at my feet, and drift it (unweighted with a floating line) to them.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius View Post
I have a conundrum. There are close to 50 fish in a pool that is very shallow and you cannot cast into them because they are so spooky. The water is in the mid 40's and do not know what to do with them. Any tips would be great.
Be there tomorrow before daylight. Wade in slowly and quietly as soon as you can see at all, than as it becomes light enough to begin to see fish put the fly on the perimeter of the group of fish near you. Do not swing a fly through the entire group, work the edge and one will take it for you.

How do I know? As they say, been there, done it. Some times I will be on my favorite water before light and have stood for hours in driving wind and rain waiting for a run of fish. Other times as it gets light I find them already there.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

What Hardy said and...Go small natural color flies. I would fish my standard two fly presentation, small egg fly with a small stone or caddis as the point fly. Start with 4x flouro and if you use an indicator, set it so the flies are just above the bottom; you want the flies riding at eye level on the steelies...

Dan
Old 04-20-2009, 05:02 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

All the advice that has been given here is excellent. I would add one other piece of advice if possible. Ignore them, most of those fish milling around in that pool are not feeders. Your chances of getting good hook ups go up considerably if you find fish in moving water. And it is amazing how many Lake Erie fish will sit in "nothing" water, little pockets of fast water where a boulder or log or dark water provides them with cover. These fish are not only far more aggressive and more likely to strike, they are far less picky because they have less time to examine a fly then a fish sitting in a slow current pool.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point burk, if they have been around for a few weeks they've had enough by now. Finding some fresh fish may be the answer.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 PM

dryflywaters will become famous soon enough

I agree - I have found that steelhead and salmon that are pooled together in slower water won't take a fly. It is better to find a good feeding position and go at thise fish.

However - it is damn dificult to pass by a pool holding tons of fish. Almost impossible!
http://dryflywaters.com/
Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Regarding pooled fish,

What you are saying is generally true, although, my original answer was based on an experience with silver salmon here at home. The fish were holding in an eddy and about thirty or so strong. I could see that there were some bright fish amongst the pack but the older ones were too spooky to deal with. Therefore I showed up the next morning before light and as it became light enough to see I was able to pick two of them off in short order with a Black & Red.

I went back every morning for a week and took two fresh fish out of that eddy (two silvers is the daily limit here) and after that most of the fish were turned too much to keep.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:21 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

never seen spooky steel in my town. you can almost step on the ones around here. I wear camo tho. try wearing camo and walking very slowly and stay low if possible. get up stream of them and try swings some clouser minnows into um so the clouser swings about 6 inches in front of there face.. if they are anything like the steelies around my town they will chase it down out of aggression. try red/white to trigger agression. if very spooky grey/white. if that don't work they want small stuff. so don't be afraid to use a single glo egg. if its really shallow just try a single glo egg in a natural color like oregon cheese or egg or peach or something and drift it through there pod without any indicator or weight whatsoever. if ya need some weight to get down add a small shot on it. somedays the fish will crush single eggs. every few casts can lead to a fish. but if drifted right in a fishes path instead a a few inches away from its face can lead to a couple foul hookings tho so be careful with it. it does work tho! small nymphs work too!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Burke, I agree with you to a point, Steelies do love those little pockets that a lot of people walk by, but if I have fish in a pool I will fish them. If they are new fish, they will take the fly, and yes in that slow water they will give it the eyeball, a very critical eye. When I fish those conditions I mentioned, I believe starting with 4x, I may go to 5x or lengthen my tippet and go a size smaller on my fly choices. Just my $0.02 worth.

Dan