The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 11:02 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough
Default First dry fly trout this year!

I was fishing a local small stocked creek today. They didn't stock in the last couple weeks, but still some trout there.
I usually use weighted woolybuggers or weighted nymphs or sometimes tinys with a split shot a foot above.
I caught a little brown on a weighted HE and I saw what I thought was a tiny chub rising for midges.
I seem to only use my 5wt 9'er with Sharkskin anymore. Even with splitshot I can put the fly exactly where I want it. Rollcasting is easy with high floating line and a 9' rod..... so is mending! I was worried about the fight with a heavy rod, but even a 10" trout puts a full bend in my Sage Fli.
Anyway, I tied on a #12 Joes Hopper and put the fly where the fish rose. Wow!! beautiful brown grabbed the top water and jumped like a champion. I caught a few on drys today...... the most wonderful time I had fishing this year.
The water is still a little high, but tomorrow will be perfect.
Getting my stuff ready, I checked the internet for some tying info on a caddis or maybe a BWO.
I saw some "nuclear" modern flies...... and I must say how easy they are to tie.
A little CDC on a hook and a cut piece of foam makes a fly look like a drake and I know the silly thing won't sink.
I really hate to keep putting on Gink to make the fly float. And all the false casting...... only to have to fly go under when the drift is wrong.
I tied some beauties for tomorrow. Size 16 to a DragonFly stimulator!!
If they float like I think they will, I'll attach a two foot piece of 2lb tippet to a 18 BH Hares Ear.
There is simply no more fun to have fishing then fishing with a dry fly.
That's as good as it gets IMHO!

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 04-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First dry fly trout this year!

Sounds like you had a great time, congrats! Dry fly fishing can certainly be a lot of fun, especially after a long winter.

Larry
Old 04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff, somehow casting on target to a rising, getting a good drift and then a take -- well, is just magical.

Sounds like you had a great day.

mark
Old 04-26-2009, 01:58 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

lucky you! no trout round here but steelhead and they don't take dries. I got to drive a few hours to get to some brown trout rivers. might try it this year tho! I can't wait!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:33 PM

dryflywaters will become famous soon enough

Make me want to get out ASAP. I am planning on a trip to a local stream this week just to wet my fly line. Wish me luck.
http://dryflywaters.com/
Old 04-26-2009, 10:40 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Me again!
I caught over a dozen trout today. Also four small chubs. Practice makes perfect!!
1- All the talk in my first post about foam body drys....... they simply stink!! I tried something new, and the trout around here won't touch them.
2- I was using the wrong dubbing. Now all I use is "dry fly" dubbing that is permanently waterproof.
3- I went back to my 8' 3wt with 6X. With 16 and 18 dries, the smaller rod works much better.
No float problems today.
2lb mono tippet, thin wire dry hooks, floating dubbing and some Gink. Today restored my confidence with Gink. That stuff is pretty good.
90 today, but this stream is shaded by trees and the water is cool. Very comfy with breathable waders and shorts under them.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 05-26-2009, 01:29 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Nice info guys.......

No luck with foamer dry patterns........wow!

Dropping hoppers and crickets locally......14" Brookies to 22" Browns. But mainly tossing gingers and gordons. Alders on the dropper, or a PT Nymph.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 05-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

You have to love getting trout on dries!